Skip to content

Discuss This Ban for 144mph speeder General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Ban for 144mph speeder

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Ban for 144mph speeder

A motorcyclist who rode at 144mph on an A-road has been banned from driving for six months. Gary Dobson was caught speeding on his BMW S100RR on the A63 at South Milford, North Yorkshire, on October 7. The 40-year-old from Halifax was fined £500 by Selby magistrates after pleading guilty by post at an earlier hearing.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 November 2012 17:09)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

bmwgs

yes them carriageways in dumfries are 70......................and also the prime place to learn not to speed.................i dont think a cop down there doesnt come with a radar gun as standard issue

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

What is

this BMW S100RR (sic) that everyone is writing about? A tiddler mini-bike version of the S1000RR (sic)?

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Why?

Why does a motorcyclist speeding without being involved in an accident receive a greater penalty than the driver of a SUV that runs over and kills a pedal-cyclist from behind or a pedestrian walking along the shoulder (off the travel lane)?

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

piglet:

Dude,  you must be new here.  The bigotry that comes up against cyclists - from bikers - has to be seen to be believed. 

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

I may be wrong...

...so go and check the law for yourself, but I think it comes down to intent.

By definition, an accident is unintended.  So the SUV driver did not kill the cyclist through intent (for that would be murder) just through negligence, ineptitude etc.
The biker, on the other hand, intended to break the law.  Travelling at 100+mph is a deliberate act.
The consequences are, to a large degree, by-the-by.  Intent is what matters.

Now, before you start frothing at the mouth consider if you are the one who causes an accident.  You are at a junction, you look but make a mistake and pull out when you shouldn't:
Scenario A: T-boned by other vehicle, some bruises, nothing serious, you get a charge or driving without due care or something.
Scenario B: T-boned by other vehicle, driver and passengers in that killed, passengers in your vehicle killed, should you now be up on a multiple-manslaughter charge?

If you said "Yes" to the question in scenario B then that has consequences.  You are asking the law to consider the worst-case-scenario (not just intent) because the law should be consistent based on you actions; why should a lucky person get away with a lesser charge when they take the same actions? Justice [should be] blind etc etc.  So that means, even for a minor infringement, people could face very long jail sentences.  Went through a red light in error?  Whoops!  That could have lead to scenario B, 20 years in jail.

Want to live in a world like that?

So, AFAIK, our law takes intent into account much more than consequences (for the reasons outlined above).  Whether or not that's the best way you can debate all you want.

[Edit: Typographical errors]

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

"I may be wrong"

"By defintion, and accident is unintened"......... hmmmmm

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

lol

Going fast isn't dangerous and he was on an empty road....

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

The" Law".....

What gets me about the "Law" is .... It is legal to purchase Bikes and Cars that are able to go faster than the "Law" allows, yet when we do go faster we are all criminals. So Why allow us to purchase these machines? why allow us to Smoke or Drink for that matter? No Seriously.... think about it for a while. Many on here claim to "Never break the law" But it's OK if you are the "Law". If Speed is so Dangerous then why are we legally allowed to own Dangerous Vehicles? Why if... speed is to blame for so many accidents are we allowed to ride Busa's ,Gixer's, Z's, Blades, Hell even Dulsville's???? If I only rode a 125cc bike I might feel that doing 80mph was madness (I have and I do)If I lived in a large City and never ventured out of it , then I would Probably never believe that High Speeds were Perfectly safe on Open clear roads. (Rather slit my wrists than live in a big City TBH) If I really wanted to live my entire life being boring, Taking the safe option, doing everything by the book then I would probably never leave my House (Look up statistics for accidents in the home) BUT I for one feel that many many "LAWS" are outdated, Unwanted and ignorant of the individuals ability and experience to think and act for themselves. It's not SPEED that kills.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

it's

the inability to control that speed and then stopping really really quickly that does it. Like it or not most people aren't in full control at those speeds on normal roads.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

exactly...

"Like it or not" Some can be in "full control" at those speeds on normal roads. No body died here.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle