Skip to content

Discuss This Ban for 144mph speeder General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Ban for 144mph speeder

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Ban for 144mph speeder

A motorcyclist who rode at 144mph on an A-road has been banned from driving for six months. Gary Dobson was caught speeding on his BMW S100RR on the A63 at South Milford, North Yorkshire, on October 7. The 40-year-old from Halifax was fined £500 by Selby magistrates after pleading guilty by post at an earlier hearing.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 November 2012 17:09)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

To put this into perspective, I was travelling home from work in the car last weekend along the M3. As I approached the Bracknell junction a black Land Rover Discovery came hurtling down the slip road. I moved from the slow lane into the centre lane, doing about 60mph, to avoid the idiot ramming me. This idiot joined the motorway and immediately signalled to get into the centre lane in front of me. There wasn't any room so I was forced to brake. To avoid an accident, I checked my mirror, signalled and moved to the fast lane to avoid the idiot. The idiot indicated and pulled in front of me, again, as I was overtaking. He then proceeded to tailgate the car in front. Twice this idiot pulled into the path of an overtaking vehicle (me) and then tailgated someone who he felt was in the way.

The driver in the black Land Rover Discovery could have caused mayhem on a busy motorway and nothing gets done.

The person doing 144mph on a bike was causing no inconvenience to anyone and did not threaten the life of innocent road users. In an ideal world he should be told off and told not to do it again. The idiot in the black Land Rover Discovery however, should be banned for 10 years, forced to re-sit his test and, pass or fail, castrated with blunt instruments of torture and without anaesthetic.

The moral of this story is: No cameras, no evidence, no action. It seems society has created a Police force that does f*ck all but rely on camera evidence to criminalise those that exceed speed limits while those that threaten the safety of others go free from prosecution.

Reply to this Topic
luckyskua

Jan 11

luckyskua says:

Soft Target...

All these sport car drivers have the tin box full of radar detection systems etc and rather than make these devices illegal the legal system will jump on a speeding biker. How many fast cars are on the road these days? More than ever before and they map and dodge the speed traps, it's part of the game today. When I see a blinged up 500bhp Ford Focus my first thought is "what's the point?" but add GPS traffic camera warning and infra-red laser detection and what fun I could have.

Reply to this Topic
Yank

Aug 02

Yank says:

fkn awesome

The weather looked fine, conditions seemed ideal, nice stretch of road, so he rolled on the throttle.

Hey, Its what we do!  Those cameras should be outlawed. We'd never stand for them over here -

Sorry you have to put up with them - rise up against big brother!    UNITE!    FREEDOM!

Reply to this Topic
Yank

Aug 02

Yank says:

another thing:

Over here If they want to fine you - They have to catch you first!

Reply to this Topic
ClaretEverywhere

Oct 08

markinnormy

+1

Biking's reputation damaged further by another speeding moron. It took wilful, premeditated action to do double the speed limit, so you can't try for leniency like you can when you're caught doing 95. The guy admitted it; stop defending him. I don't think anyone is in a position to say the rider was in full control, or that the conditions were suitable just from this video. Anyone who thinks the fact that 'no one got hurt' is a justification for this kind of excessive speed is a moron. If someone had been hurt, you'd all be claiming it was a SMIDSY by an ignorant driver, probably without seeing a detailed video of that either.

Something needs to be done about shit awful driving, I agree. And cameras are an easy way of catching speeders and useless for catching texters/daydreamers/idiot etc. But that's got nothing to do with this.

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

speeding

144 MPH S100RR has the same energy as a Ford Fiesta at about 18mph. Or the S100RR would need to get to 580MPH to have the same energy as a Ford Fiesta driving perfectly legally at 70MPH (assuming same number of people on both bike and in car). It's the transfer of energy that causes damage and injury, not raw speed.

Reply to this Topic
Tchild

Sep 12

Tchild says:

H

I don't think there is any point in defending someone doing double the speed limit really, whether the conditions are perfect or abysmal, anything above 100 you deserve all the shit that comes with it 6 months is lite IMO

Reply to this Topic
Tchild

Sep 12

Tchild says:

@rotop Rubbish An 18 mph fiesta hitting you isn't going to kill you you'll most Likely walk away, a 200kg s1000rr hitting you is going to kill you no doubt about this.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Rotop:

could you show your calculations, demonstrating that a S100RR@144mph has the same energy as a Fiesta at 18mph? 

Reply to this Topic
g8khf

Nov 12

g8khf says:

Right, lets do the math.

BMW S100RR

Velocity: 144mph = 64.4 metres per second.

Mass: 200Kg plus rider at 80Kg = 280Kg

E = 0.5 x 280 x 64.4 x 64.4 = 580,630 Joules

Fiesta

Velocity: 18mph = 8 metres per second

Mas: 1170Kg plus driver at 80Kg = 1250Kg

E = 0.5 x 1250 x 8 x 8 = 40,000 Joules

If you factor in the that if the bike hits something, all that energy is transferred through a very small impact point it gets several times worse.

As you say ROTOP, its all about the transfer of energy....

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices