Skip to content

Discuss This Ban for 144mph speeder General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Ban for 144mph speeder

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Ban for 144mph speeder

A motorcyclist who rode at 144mph on an A-road has been banned from driving for six months. Gary Dobson was caught speeding on his BMW S100RR on the A63 at South Milford, North Yorkshire, on October 7. The 40-year-old from Halifax was fined £500 by Selby magistrates after pleading guilty by post at an earlier hearing.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 November 2012 17:09)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

So...

Half of us think Speeders should be sentenced to life in prison.... but admit to speeding anyway! Police riders are so well trained they never have accidents. A patch of oil on a racetrack makes " Them all fall off on the same bloody spot". We have "no right to access roads" . "Use of the roads is a Privilege"... Most uf us on here" have no training and any experience will likely be on a track" ???? There is no point in defending Speeders because it's the law. Being "scraped off the floor is a huge waste of tax payers money"... and so it goes on and on.

The Video captures two Bikers, One of which is going faster than the other, on a clear road, Having a bit of fun. He got caught, Pleaded Guilty and paid the fine. Must be a miracle he made it to 40 by all accounts.

Now can we talk about punishment for Murderers, Rapists, Paedos, Muggers,Drunk Drivers, Arsonists  not to mention SMIDSY's , Texting/phoning Drivers, Drug Dealers, Tax evaders, 

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Just to clear that up

no training and experience on a track related to doing those kinds of speeds. You are trained up to 70mph and experience exceeding that is generally from a track where it's safer to do so.

Reply to this Topic
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

Sorry Phill

but where did you get trained up to 70 mph? and i don't just mean putting you foot down or twisting the throttle until 70 comes up on a dual, ...that's not training, thats just letting the trainer know you have passed a speed sign. Since we can't drive on motorways as learners and in this day you will struggle to find a dual at 70mph.

Personally i think some drivers should not be allowed to reach 40mph let alone 70mph, but that's a different story.

We all (on here) ride bikes, some of us like tourers, some like sports, some like tractors but one thing is in common, we all from time to time twist the throttle a bit much in the name of enjoyment, a buzz, a race even, so to slag off  the poor bastards who get caught is a bit rich......don't you think!

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Sorry guys

I did my calculations based on BBC statistics :/ Anyway, how about - How fast is acceptable? Every time I'm on the motorway and I see a motorbike it's overtaking me and I'm almost always at 70 (or not far off)

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Homer40

There's loads of 70 dual carriageways. Speed is dependent on conditions - So why are people doing 70 in the rain at night with only side lights on not being fined and banned from driving?

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Well

I did training where I was followed by an instructor and given advice around controlling the bike at higher speeds, i.e. 70mph. Same for the car. Might be that the training I've done is more involved as I'm younger. I certainly didn't just go past a 70 sign in front of someone and that's it. I appreciate that my Dad's training was being seen wobbling down the road and that's it and that indeed that may be the same for some people on here.

EDIT: and as for struggling to find a dual at 70mph - not round here. One just down the road from me which is indeed the one used on test.

Also, I'm not slagging off anyone. I'm saying don't bloody whine about it. It's the law and if you break it and if you get caught it's gonna hurt. You agree to abide by the law by using the roads. Don't bother doing it if you can't do the time (which it is in many cases). I can honestly say I've never ever gone into three digits on public roads nor would I see the need to do so. If anyone does around me I really don't appreciate it as if they don't have the ability to control it, they could take me out as well. It's also that kind of shit which leads to cops targeting riders and car drivers seeing us all as speed freaks as unfortunately people only remember the extreme, not the person riding normally.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

Homer40  all the dual carrage ways by dumfries are 70mph so if you are in a car on L,s then by law you can do 70 if your 125cc bike can do 70 then you can do 70 but most are flat out at 60.

most dual carrage ways i ride on i will do 70 but most other drivers do 30 and 40 so you have to watch out for slow drivers..

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Fuck

is that what happens

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

when

you leave me alone with human beings for more than 5 minutes? Generally a lot worse happens. This is pretty mild.

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

bmwgs

yes them carriageways in dumfries are 70......................and also the prime place to learn not to speed.................i dont think a cop down there doesnt come with a radar gun as standard issue

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices