You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > speedo

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

lugsonia

Oct 12

lugsonia says:

speedo

ok experts heres my update, i recieved my new brake pads and my new brake lines, i installed them with a little help from my friend and all was good, i went out on it and after about 15,20 minutes the speedo stopped working, my milage and journey milage are not moving it wont tell me my speed but it still lights up. the rev counter and temp gauge both still work so i was wondering do i just need a new cable from front fork up to the gauge block or will i need a whole new set up?

thanks guys

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 November 2012 17:45)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

no speedo

I've just looked into my chrystal ball, and it's telling me the bike in question is somewhere between a 1955 Velocette Venom, and a 2012 MV Agusta F4 1000 RR.............:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

speedo

Nah the new MV Agusta does not have a cable.:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

no speedo

You could if you really wanted to, undo both ends of the cable, twist one end and see if the other end turns, but you would have to be desperate to do that.

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

oh you boys........

If your bike has a cable that operates the speedo - goes from front wheel to bottom of speedo - and it no longer shows speed or changes mileage, then yes you will need to replace the cable. It' s simple to do, pair of pliers, unscrew at each end and remove. BUT.....remember where to route the new  cable or it will fail in no time at all 

In future it would help if you mentioned the make, model and year of your bike :lol:

Reply to this Topic
lugsonia

Oct 12

lugsonia says:

thanks

Thanks guys and yeah i forgoit to mention it its a yamaha fzr 400 1988

il try get a new cable

Reply to this Topic
AlbertHerring

Nov 09

If you did what I did

changing the front pads on a Fazer 600 - when I removed and then refitted the left hand caliper from the fork, I accidentally rerouted the speedo cable (which has a clip onto the lower caliper bolt) in such a way that it touched the brake disc. You don't have to ride very far before the disc rubs through the casing result that it shorted out the cores (electric speedo, obviously), sending the needle beserk, fluctuating between 0 and about 150 mph. I also put about 250 miles onto the clock between Nottingham and Darley Moor... I guess that doing the same thing with a mechanical speedo, you'd just kill it dead. In either case, new cable and put it in the right place...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices