You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > Your Getting Started Stories

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jodyapple

Sep 12

jodyapple says:

Your Getting Started Stories

Hiya.. I'm new to biking and the forum (Hello:smile all) 

I got my CBT 2 weeks ago and have just bought myself a Suzuki GSX 125 about ummmmm 2 hours ago. 

The whole thing has taken me right out of my comfort zone  - but I'm determined to nail it and get my big bike and test done next spring / summer. 

I've made a couple of mistakes so far... managed to drop the bike on my CBT and dropped the GSX on a little test ride just then. Think I'll be sticking to Tesco carpark until I've got my head around my new baby. The comforting thing is knowing you're not the only one that feels like a bit of numpty when starting out making these mistakes. 

Soooo in light of me embarking on a few weeks of possibly doing a few daft things and feeling pretty stupid at first. I was wondering if anyone would share anything daft / embarrassing etc they did when they first started. A) So I don't feel like the only one.. and B) So I can see everyone nails it after a while. 

:roll eyes: Jody 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 November 2012 17:25)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

in the long and distant past

well before the dawn of CBTs and all that stuff, there was a mate's purple fizzie: "C'mon, have a go."  How hard can it be?  Had to kick start it 11 times before moving off without stalling, only to discover how little lock it had - its engine bars didn't inflict too much damage on his mum's Fiat 500 a few yards up the road!  Oops.

Reply to this Topic
flookyk

Oct 10

flookyk says:

Two bits of advice

to remember when stopping or starting a ride.

1) When stopping and getting off make sure that sidestand is down BEFORE getting leaning the bike over and stepping off it. (I am please I did that one with a small 125cc)

2) When starting off on a ride make sure you have taken your disclock off BEFORE trying to ride off (unfortunately I did not on one occasion and it was on a ST1100 Pan European - quite heavy to pick back up again) :blink:

I know they say you learn from your mistakes BUT it is always better if you can learn from other peoples mistakes. :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
stonysleet

Dec 10

stonysleet says:

getting started

a mashed up honda cub 90 bars 45 degrees off centre buckled wheels sure the frame was knackered too and a blow out on a roundabout

ridden around with no ins linence mot or tax

dropped it smashed it rode it flat out every where dont know how i got away with it

then a ahem desent CG 125 if there is one T-boned at a junction dropped it sold it to a copper haha

then a bandit dropped twice sold for over the odds haha

some likes me or karma's going be a bitch

but dont worry Jody its happened to us already welcome to the best time your ever going to have

Shiny Side Up:smile

Reply to this Topic
jodyapple

Sep 12

jodyapple says:

Thanks

Thanks for these! Making me feel a bit better already :smile Bike is arriving in a few hours. Think I'll spend the first afternoon just stroking and cooing at it. 

Reply to this Topic
DanAtBristol

Nov 12

DanAtBristol says:

Fun times!

Let's see... I turned 17 and did my CBT, flew through it and then got on my brand spanking new Suzuki 125 and literally 5mins later went up a slippery curb at a bad angle doing 10-15mph - Sideways, not fun.
A week later I attempted to push it up a curb (to park it on the path beside my house) and caught it at a bad angle - This time the front wheel slipped out and I somehow somersaulted over the handlebars.
A week after that I went through a light just as it turned red, copper pulled out from a side road and did me for 3 points and a £60 fine... Just as my mates drove past.
A few years later I was in a car park, a mate was ahead in his car - I hit a patch of oil, again, sideways like usual.
I did my full licence a few months ago, I'd been off of a bike for 18 odd months since my crash (car pulled from a side road without looking), within 5mins of being on the big bike I took a slow-speed corner too sharply, begun to drop the bike and caught it (mostly with my leg), unfortunately a... Shall we say 'sensitive' extremity was between my leg and the bike, now THAT hurt.

Sooo yeah, a few good stories, haha.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices