You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Disaster man

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Foby

Aug 12

Foby says:

Disaster man

I fitted some engine protection bars to my 1996 Triumph Thunderbird and took the fuel tank, airbox and carbs off to make fitting easier and layed carefully on some rag to protect. I did not realise the fuel tap was leaking slightly and the paint stripped off the tank. I put everything back together and the bike runs ok but petrol is leaking out of the offside rear of the carb. Any ideas please apart from me being a twat:upset:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 November 2012 10:49)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Triumph Thunderbird 1996

Hi Foby

Your bike is 16 years old now,so sometime when things get disturbed on old bikes like yours these sort of problems can occur.Not sure why but if there's a bit of dirt jamming the float needle on this carb it can cause it to over flow instead of sealing shut when the float rises.You could try draining each float bowl into a clean container to see if there's any water and or debris in the fuel,if there is it could be coming from the fuel tank,and with you removing it you have disturbed the debris and this has now found its way to the carbs.Also check that you have put the fuel pipes on the correct way and not the vacuum pipe on the fuel line etc.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue: 

Reply to this Topic
Foby

Aug 12

Foby says:

Disaster Man

Thanks for that mate - you are a wealth of info! :smileI did clean the tank out when I bought the bike because the tap tank mounting was leaking so I guess when I took the carbs off to fit engine bars possibly disturbed some dirt as you say. Bugger, it seems everytime I try to improve the bike there is a consequence. Next job tank respray, grrrr:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
Foby

Aug 12

Foby says:

Carb cleaner

Are the of the shelf carb cleaners that is put into the petrol any good - if so which one is the best. I will try the easiest method first!:blink:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

carb

cleaners are for partly gummed up carbs/jets caused by rotten fuel,in your case it`s foreign bodies.I suggest you strip clean /check the carbs/jets and fit an inline fuel filter inbetween the tap and the carbs.  

Reply to this Topic
Foby

Aug 12

Foby says:

Carb Cleaner

Will do mate and thanks for advice! :smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN