Skip to content

Discuss This Pics: Valentino Rossi makes Yamaha return MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Pics: Valentino Rossi makes Yamaha return

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Pics: Valentino Rossi makes Yamaha return

Valentino Rossi has returned to Yamaha’s official factory MotoGP squad at the Valencia track today. The Italian arrived at Yamaha’s garage at the Ricardo Tormo track in the middle of the afternoon ahead of his much hyped return to a factory YZR-M1 tomorrow when the 2013 winter testing campaign gets underway in Spain. Rossi ended a disastrous two-year spell with Ducati in...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 November 2012 18:19)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Sure..hypothetically speaking, as seems to be happening quite a lot of late, if Ducati had given a bike to Rossi he could have fought for the top places with, he may well have stayed.

He said his preference was to stay but having banged heads and seen the engineering departments response to requests..the intransigence and lack of meaningful change, the same issues as two years ago..he ran out of patience.

Audi seem to agree and will be issuing P45's later this week.

He'll be 34 when it all kicks off again at Qatar. He simply couldn't afford to gamble on another two years of potentially empty promises. He's a winner and wants to have that opportunity again.

Yamaha gives him that opportunity, Ducati doesn't.

It's a brave move because we know the M1 is good. His team mate is the world champ. There's nowhere to hide..and that is just the sort of challenge Rossi relishes.

We'll see Pal..we'll see.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

You see Wosi..

..had you said all of that in your original post, I would have happily and willingly fallen in line with the majority and congratulated you on a fair and reasoned post. All this bollocks you come out with regarding Stoner really doesn't become you..

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Aha...

All this bollocks you come out with regarding Stoner really doesn't become you..

Which is why other people write what they write, some of the time, eh Wosi...

Sparked a bit of debate though didn't it

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

Wosi

Also..take a look at the drop in audience when Rossi broke his leg, both at the circiuts and TV viewing figures. They make unpalatable reading for fans like you..but facts is facts.

---------------------------------------

I don't disagree with those stats. But they do suggest that Vale has brought many 'fly by nights' to the sport. Surely the only conclusion? I've a couple of Flo fans who have become disillusioned with him over the past 2 seasons. I wonder why. Any sport needs real fans.  

Reply to this Topic
acanada46

Aug 11

acanada46 says:

paceycasey

Also..take a look at the drop in audience when Rossi broke his leg, both at the circiuts and TV viewing figures. They make unpalatable reading for fans like you..but facts is facts.

---------------------------------------

I don't disagree with those stats. But they do suggest that Vale has brought many 'fly by nights' to the sport. Surely the only conclusion?

If vale goes to wsbk in 2015 and his fans follow him, it will put another nail in the motogp coffin.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Where were we

Was that it Wosi - your fella was on the ropes and that's all you had to come back with, a couple of soft jabs and a poke to the ribs..

Porkies? - Look, we know all about the pay cut and yes, anyone would be pissed off. But before then Rossi had been dicking Yamaha around for some time with threats of leaving Motogp and going to F1, rallying or whatever. Ferrari were giving him drives in their cars and noises were being made about allowing teams to run a third car, just so Ferrari could be accommodated in their desire to run Rossi. It was getting to the stage where it was becoming more than just speculation and Yamaha must have been wondering what was going on, especially as Rossi was stalling re-signing with them at the time (2008). You could understand Yamaha wondering if the same thing was going to happen next time around as he continued to talk car racing. Add to that his desire to oust Lorenzo from the team or else, throw in Ducati's 2009 approach to Lorenzo and suddenly, Yamaha could have been left without a big name for 2011. They reacted as they saw fit and made sure they got Lorenzo. No sentiment in business - any business. Lorenzo had proved his potential with wins (and that was when not armed with equal equipment)

Saying Yamaha were ungrateful was looking at the situation with blinkers. Winning titles is a two way thing, the rider needs the bike and the manufacturer that provides the bike needs the rider. Neither is bigger than the other. If you talk of gratitude, where was Rossi's to Honda, for giving him his chance in Motogp on a proven bike (6 of the previous 7 titles) Instead he said it was him not the bike and stomped off to Yamaha - did he not remember the Honda's previous achievements? The 2 years at Ducati have proved that it's not all rider, so was his attitude justified back then?

To talk of a manufacturer being ungrateful to one rider after giving them wins is hypocritical, given the view taken of Stoner's time at Ducati. You and others constantly refer to his AWOL period when it is on medical record that he was sick. Ducati management and Marlboro appeared to not give a shit. Had they handled it better, maybe he wouldn't have just taken off. These are the people remember whose level of sympathy towards Melandri was to send him to a shrink... Stoner returned after the problem was identified and treated and won again first time back. In the meantime, Ducati had attempted to replace him with Lorenzo – could you not say that was thoughtless and a huge ingratitude towards a rider who had given them their only title and who was continuing to win for them? Did they care? Did they fck. The only rider to give them a title and they'd have dropped him like they would your sticky yellow undies…

Double standards? Again.

I will however, pay Rossi due respect for going back to Yamaha and pairing up with Lorenzo as although it was his only option to remain with a chance of winning, he must have had to swallow hard before going through with it. It could backfire badly. On the other hand, he could still be a force to reckon with once he gets his confidence back. I wouldn't rule out a win or two if I had to bet on it.

As for the biggest draw in Motogp - undoubdtedly - but that to me is an indication of hangers on following a personality rather than true enthusiasts of motorcycle sport who watch to watch racers race and that is ably demonstrated by your statement of viewing figures - and also by the fact that people were streaming out of Mugello long before the end when they realised he wasn't going to win - no interest in their other two home riders.

That to me is hardly a benefit to the sport, when a percentage of watchers are interested only in a rider, not the actual racing.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

"I will however, pay Rossi due respect for going back to Yamaha and pairing up with Lorenzo"

I'm sure that'll come as a great relief to him bluto. Almost as much relief as I felt when I'd finished reading that long winded piece of drivel with seemingly no end and no point.

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Bulto

This statement from your post  -

''As for the biggest draw in Motogp - undoubdtedly - but that to me is an indication of hangers on following a personality rather than true enthusiasts of motorcycle sport who watch to watch racers race and that is ably demonstrated by your statement of viewing figures''

contradicts your own argument - if as you state Rossi is the biggest draw in Motogp it means that the majority of race fans undoubtedly follow a personality and can in no way be classed as 'hangers on' who represent a minority.

The reason Rossi has been able to attract such a following is because - like it or loathe it -  he  is a giant personality but not only  that has backed it up with his ability to win a world championship in every class of MotoGp including 7 in the premier class. How long will it be before we see the like of that  again ?

As RevB said on another thread it's about entertainment as well as the racing.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

The pain is evident..

Four snippets from Bulto's novel.

Rossi had been dicking Yamaha around for some time with threats of leaving Motogp...

Threats? dicking around? Try, having a bit of fun.. with his world class performances across other motorsport diciplines and box office draw making him a target for speculation. Rossi always said 4 wheels would be after he'd finished with bikes.

If you talk of gratitude, where was Rossi's to Honda, for giving him his chance in Motogp on a proven bike (6 of the previous 7 titles) Instead he said it was him not the bike and stomped off to Yamaha...

Stomped off?. Gave him the chance?..Oh deary me.

He delivered the last ever 500 titlle and the first two MotoGP. You make it sound like he had nowhere else to go after his success in the smaller classes..one of your favorite lines in bullshit while attempting to denigrate him.

Stoner returned after the problem was identified and treated and won again first time back...

Marlboro & Ducati's issue with him was that he took the time off and went incommunicado with team and sponsor before lactose was identified by his doctor in Oz. Medical tests carried out on behalf of Ducati found nothing wrong. 10 weeks off mid-season leaving all and sundry high and dry, for a little sicky burp?

That to me is hardly a benefit to the sport, when a percentage of watchers are interested only in a rider, not the actual racing...

Bums on seats Pal, cash in the tills..Do you think everyone who watches Chesea v Liverpool plays football?

Face it Bulto..your world would have a handful of purists watching in anoraks.

You don't like Rossi because his flamboyant character makes him more than just a bike racer to many. It sticks in your craw that this popularity gives him influence.

Did you have many mates at school, Saddo? Were you bullied a lot?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

RevB

Elemantary to you and me but not to some poor misguided souls !

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices