Skip to content

Ask an Expert Motorbike accident, bike a write off, should I upgrade? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Motorbike accident, bike a write off, should I upgrade?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

masonjosh

Jan 11

masonjosh says:

Motorbike accident, bike a write off, should I upgrade?

Hay guys,

In October I was involved in a motorbike accident, I car driver drove into rear of me while I was waiting to join round about, bike is a write off.

My confidence has been knocked, i want to get back on the saddle, but my question is should I go up engine size? I have full licence, maybe louder pipes will help.

Any thoughts would be great, cheers guys.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 November 2012 22:33)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Upgrading

What size bike were you riding and what's your riding experience / history?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

upgrade

Give us a clue about the bike involve.:blink:

Reply to this Topic
masonjosh

Jan 11

masonjosh says:

I've been riding for 4 years since I was 17, I have my full motorbike licence, and my restriction ends next year. I doubt I will have a bike by then as the claim is in process. I was riding a dt 125 r before accident.

I was looking to upgrade before incident but as I said my confidence has been knocked, just want a little help from bikers, cheers guys.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

confidence

Nobody can prevent a rear ender no matter what size bike,why haven`t you got a courtesy bike paid for by other drivers insurance?

Reply to this Topic
masonjosh

Jan 11

masonjosh says:

I was provided with a courtesy bike, but I sustained severe injuries to my leg and back which makes riding hard, and scary at moment haha.

My thinking is having a bigger bike which is louder will get me noticed on the road, just looking for suggestions, cheers guys

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

maybe

a safe easy ride like a restricted CBF500 (no I don't have one to sell - any more) could be ideal for building confidence, as could getting a little extra tuition?  33bhp feels like a rocket ship after stepping off a 125, but later you can undo two bolts and pop the restrictor off when legal and ready.

As with a bicycle, it may be best to get back on asap [*], and as Jaffa says, interim biking should be at the expense of the other guy's insurers.

If you get more assertive and relaxed about it, then it is easier with a bigger bike to create and maintain space fore and aft, and that might help a little to ward off rear-enders, I'm certainly more aware of it after it I got hit from behind.

[*]Edits: our posts crossed in hyperspace - I see why you didn't hop back on yet.  Bigger has more visual road presence, and stability , making actions smoother and intentions clearer, which I think has more effect than a loud noise

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

More Training

I was hit from behind at a pedestrian crossing and at the time I thought the driver of the car was a complete knob.

But years later after doing advanced training I realised that yes it was still his fault and had I anticipated the whole situation better it could have been prevented.

A pedestrian waved me on to continue, but I didn't I stopped thinking it was the right thing to do.

The driver behind was thinking different to me and didn't stop in time. Bang!

Advanced training you will learn to ride to a safe system (road craft) you will learn how to anticipate different situations. With good observations, planning and anticipation a lot of situations can and WILL be avoided. You will restore your confidence and will be a better rider what ever bike you choose to ride.

This might not be the answer you want to hear, but training will most certainly help you.

Even the best have coaching to improve their game to be, or stay at the top in any kind of sport or hobby.

Hope this helps and hope you get back on the road again soon.:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices