Skip to content

General Getting a Sportbike on A2 license.. General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Getting a Sportbike on A2 license..

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

samiul09

Nov 12

samiul09 says:

Getting a Sportbike on A2 license..

Hi guys basically i am currently on the restricted A2 license for another year im currently 18 and had a few bikes in the past such as honda cg125 then a kawasaki ER5 and now currently driving but i am planning to spend around 2 to £3000 on a sportsbike in the next month or so but i was wondering first of all is it going to be any good restricted for lets say 9 months im looking at getting a kawasaki zx6r or a suzuki gsxr 600 just wanted some advice from you guys thanks before hand!!:smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 November 2012 14:23)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Restricted sportsbikes

Fortunately, I have not had to endure a restricted bike but the general opinion on this site is that 4-pot engines do not restrcict as well as twins.  So anyone just starting their two-year period would be better off with something like an ER6 or SV650.  These bike also being better for honing your skills on rather than a sportsbike that requires a more experienced hand to get the best from.  However, as you do not have long to wait your could take the approach that it is less of a compromise for you and choose a bike that is a better long-term bet rather than changing again in 9 months.  If you are happy that your skill levels are reaching the point where you can make the most of a sportsbike then that would make a 600-class sportsbike a reasonable choice.   

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Perki6

Aug 10

Perki6 says:

A2 license

I had a 125cc bike for 3years, passed my test when i was 18 and waited 2years for the restricted license to be removed. I then got the bike i wanted ( Daytona 675 ) my insurance at age 20 with 3 years no claims still stood me at £800 approx a year. I dont think having a re-stricter on the bike will make much of a difference to the insurance, i might be wrong tho. Still your insurance is not going to be cheap, depending on if a company will insure you at your age 

All bike can be restricted, on the Daytona i have been told its to do with the throttle to restrict it. I suppose with getting  a 600cc  sports bike restricted you can learn how to ride it safely and correctly. And when the restricter is taken off it will feel like a new bike. And it will be better long term.

Here a link to a re-stricter company for you to have a look at. And there more expensive than i thought it would be.
http://www.fiinternational.com/

In all it could get very expensive,  you could wait and save your money it up to you.

Reply to this Topic
johnlad1

Mar 11

johnlad1 says:

a newer one no

an older sports bike isnt to bad ive got a zzr 600 thts restricted and its not to bad all tho its 20 years old and more of a sports tourer what you have to consider is how far your going to restrict it if your restricting somthing with over say a 100bhp to 33 your going to strangle the engine you wont necerely do any damage but it just wont respond as well as it should as marcus marsh said twins react better to being restricted than alot of other engine types but its all about the paticular bike its power its weight

if you go for the right bike it shouldnt be a problem as long as you can afford the insurance

Reply to this Topic
samiul09

Nov 12

samiul09 says:

Thank you very much for replying guys really appreciate you guys answering and trying to give the best possible answer and advice anways well i have decided to go for a suzuki GSXR 600 between 2003-05 which you can get around the £3,000 mark, i got a an insurance quote of £1700 third party only which i know is ridiculous but then again i am 18 and have no no claims bonuses , i understand you guys mentioned about the kawasaki er6,sv650 etc but i rode my friends bandit 600 and a yamaha fz6 and evenhhh though they are more comfortable,cheaper and more eco i still want to go for the sports bike like the GSXR as i am planning to keep my next bike for atleast a couple of years as i have a car for the bad days but what i would like to ask you guys like you mentioned about experince on riding a supersport bike i havent really got it i have been riding for 2 years but that was mainly on a tourer would you guys think id be able to manage to ride a gsxr 600 smooothly i am on about full power not restricted? thank you very much in advance :biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
johnlad1

Mar 11

johnlad1 says:

any one can ride a 600 sports bike

riding one smoothly and well is a diffrent kettle of fish its all about practice makes perfect and taking your time to get to know your own personal limit everybodys diffrent its all about riding in your own comfort zone

starting with a 600 after having an er5 shouldnt be to bad youve already had a big bike even it was restricted and if like you say your gonna have the sports bike restricted for the last bit of your restriction you should be fine like i said just find your comfort zone

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices