Skip to content

Discuss This POLL: Can you have fun with 47bhp? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > POLL: Can you have fun with 47bhp?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

POLL: Can you have fun with 47bhp?

With the introduction of new licence classes in January, the recent bike shows have seen a slew of new 47bhp releases, including a trio of 500cc Hondas officially released earlier today. So, we ask - is 47bhp enough? Or is it just not enough power to have any fun with? poll

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 November 2012 16:54)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

Yes but.................

..............I'd rather choose the HP figure myself than have it forced on me by some 500,000 pounds a year, unelected, traitor in the EU.

Reply to this Topic
siltec

Aug 02

siltec says:

Power

In over 40 years of motorcycling I have never had a bike with more than 40 hp. For most of that time it was bikes with much, much less.

If I want to get a long distance fast then I take the train or plane. Getting to work only ever required a few hp to get through the traffic; and smaller bikes are more nimble.

I have toured on a 150, 250, 500 and 650 and each carried the same; two people and camping gear. Touring is not about speed, it is about passing through. Longest tour we ever did was on the 150. Longest run in one day was on the 650 - with the 150 a close second.

I hope this new legislation is the end of the fad for bigger, faster and flashier.

Call me an old fuddy duddy but I am not a 'born again' biker. I 'm a 'never died', and kept the faith through the lean times. Now getting my state pension, still have the bike, and while I no longer commute I ensure it is used at least once in every month of the year. A bit tricky in winter some times, but so far managed it.

No leathers, false sense of security.

No full face, dangerous lack of visibility.

Must admit the electric starter is nice at my age.

Do my own servicing. One thing about not flogging a modern bike is the reliability and longevity they show.

But most of all - I use it.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Power = torque x revs

Compare the NC700 with a GS500 which both claim bang on 35kW (and the new CB500 should be similar to the GS).  The NC700 claims 44ftlbs, the GS500 claims 30ftlbs.

They claim the same peak power simply because the NC is rev limited to 6500rpm, but the 500 will rev higher.  Heck, an RS250 managed to get 55bhp out of just 27ftlbs by revving to infinity.

There's a 'fun' bike for everyone, it just depends on your preferred riding style.

Reply to this Topic
dansidi

Nov 04

dansidi says:

Oh, please ! I have loads of fun on my YBR125 which has about 8 bhp. It's how you use it, innit!

Reply to this Topic
ducatigav

Feb 10

ducatigav says:

hell yeah my enduro bike got less and fook me its fun

Reply to this Topic
ramparts

Nov 05

ramparts says:

47 HP enough ??

This depends on what you're riding.  If on a 350 kg cruiser then perhaps not.  On a lightweight motorcycle it is ample.   On a 125 cc two-stroke it's too much, as machine would be virtually unrideable around town.

My old CB400-four from many moons ago made 37 hp and that was an absolute hoot to ride.

47hp in the right package should provide 110 mph top speed, 80 mph cruising, over 70 mpg and hopefully cheap insurance and running costs.

Me thinks the new 500s from Honda red really good-stylish.  Shame they've abandoned the false-tank/helmet storage from the NC range - that was practical without losing style.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

a bike clamped to 47bhp at the rear wheel will just be slower of the mark but will have the same top speed.  hell my bmw r100gs got claped to 33bhp but still could do the same top speed as the full bhp one.

Reply to this Topic
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

yeah

47 bhp can provide endless fun in a 400 cc trail/enduro bike, i dont like forward sprtsbike type bikes anyway , i prefer nice country roads and green lanes.

Reply to this Topic
DrWorm

Jul 11

DrWorm says:

Plenty

These new 500cc bikes look very tempting to me. Decent mpg & enough poke not to have to thrash it everywhere like you do a 125/250.

47bhp is plenty for who the bikes are aimed at.  If you want more you can easily get it & by spending far less than a brand spanking 500 cc Honda. 

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

Oh Yes!

47bhp is plenty to have fun on. Of course 150bhp is another type of fun, but if you can't enjoy enough power to easily top a ton and zap you along then I'm sorry, 'cos you're missing something.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices