Skip to content

Discuss This POLL: Can you have fun with 47bhp? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > POLL: Can you have fun with 47bhp?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

POLL: Can you have fun with 47bhp?

With the introduction of new licence classes in January, the recent bike shows have seen a slew of new 47bhp releases, including a trio of 500cc Hondas officially released earlier today. So, we ask - is 47bhp enough? Or is it just not enough power to have any fun with? poll

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 November 2012 16:54)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
billysollocks

Feb 09

I can have an absolute hoot on my old Matchless with its 18 bhp ! Dropping oil outside posh country pubs, getting my own back by holding up caravanners - the possibilities are endless. Yes, I am indeed a rebel without a clue.

Reply to this Topic
Abstract rude

Aug 08

Yes

If it weight the right amount and it's the right price of course you can, I work in a bike shop and all the 600cc plus riders who ride on the road have square tyres and all the 1200cc adventure riders are too scared to drop their mega heavy mega expensive bike.

I'd buy the new ktm 390 in a heartbeat I can't wait to test ride on, I'm 20 years old and this looks like the perfect fun, economical, stylish mode of transport. as for the honda cb series that about to come out, could they be any more bland, especially the cbr with those stupid sudo-clip ons.

Reply to this Topic
Philmoose1150

Nov 12

I've been riding for 25 years (although I do stop and get off every now and again...) and I currently have three bikes - CBF1000 (about 95bhp?), Enfield Bullet (20bhp on a good day) and BMW R65 (35bhp, when it works at all). I have toured extensively on the Bullet, including some 400 mile days. It is the most fun I have ever had on a bike, so yes, 47bhp is plenty, but only if it is in the right package. I actually find myself more frustrated by the lack of power in the Honda than in either of the other two...

Reply to this Topic
brownfly82

Nov 12

brownfly82 says:

when i had my 2 years at 33bhp i had a bandit 250 with a certificate to say it was 33bhp but it was more like 47 i belive, it was perfect topped out at 120 reved to 20,000rpm (i no that sounds a lot but check the stats) and had knee down fun all day even done a track day at snetty.so if i was starting again id go for older bikes as these new bikes look like comuters and sound shit.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

its more than just the 47BHP limit though

Lightweight bikes are ok for having fun on but the new power to weight limit means they'd be limited to FAR LESS than 47BHP.

If you have a bike with the same weight as the old RGV250 (first model - 127kg) then it could have a maximum power of only up to 34BHP.

The limits are:-

120kg bike = max 32.1 BHP

140kg bike = max 37.5 BHP

150kg bike = max 40.2 BHP

160kg bike = max 42.9 BHP

47BHP limit = bike at least 175kg in weight.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
psychoSam

Aug 12

psychoSam says:

My Rabbit only takes a couple of 1.5 volt Duracell's but I'm loving the power.

Reply to this Topic
SVLydia

Apr 11

SVLydia says:

33bhp restriction

My Sv is restricted to 33bhp due to my age, at first i thought my bike was plenty fast enough and it has deffinatley given me the opportunity to learn how my bike handles and to really push it in the fast twisty's. enough that i can hold my own against guys that don't have that experience on a full powered bike.

But i am bored of it now, it just doesn't have that power to overtake like my older borthers TT600 (and R1). Even though it still has a top end of 110mph according to a sat nav in my bag the acceleration deffinatley suffers.Thankfully i can take the restrictors out after christmas but i wouldn't want to be stuck on a bike, even one with 47bhp, for more than two years. it would drive me mad!

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

spondonste

The weight restrictions show just how stupid these un-elected fools are, and that they clearly have no idea about motorcycling. It amazes me that these strangers can make such intrusive laws so easily, it is worrying.

Reply to this Topic
MrGiggle

Nov 12

MrGiggle says:

I have more than enough fun on my little CBF 125. Especially riding around town you dont really need anything more. I do still take it out on some country roads and its still fun. Obviously the top isnt there being able to cruise at 65mph but I love it. I think 46bhp would site me fine, especially when my cbf is only 10bhp. I've been on the back of a bandit 650 and I really cant see the need to go any faster than that. In my eyes fun isnt fast its the enjoyment of the ride.

Reply to this Topic
73mach3

Oct 12

73mach3 says:

and i thought we only had stupid laws in california.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices