Skip to content

Discuss This POLL: Can you have fun with 47bhp? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > POLL: Can you have fun with 47bhp?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

POLL: Can you have fun with 47bhp?

With the introduction of new licence classes in January, the recent bike shows have seen a slew of new 47bhp releases, including a trio of 500cc Hondas officially released earlier today. So, we ask - is 47bhp enough? Or is it just not enough power to have any fun with? poll

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 November 2012 16:54)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Yes, depending.......

To answer the question I would say yes - but would I want a 47bhp bike is another matter entirely.

We did a moped race once at Bruntingthorpe, back in the mid-eighties at a Kawasaki event. A two-hour race on an AR-50 round a go-cart type track in the pouring rain, three riders to a team. Anyone remember that? It was 1988 I think and it was brilliant, bonkers fun with a lot less than 47bhp. Afterwards we got back on our own bikes, a GPz900 in my case, to ride back home to Devon. So it depends.....

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Andy_L

Sep 08

Andy_L says:

Weighty matters

I logged in to ask if there was a power-to-weight limit in these new rules, like with the current 33bhp restriction - so thanks Spondonste for clearing that up!  On the plus side, at least it is a bit less restrictive than the 0.16kW/kg that goes with the 33bhp limit.

Looks like a DR-Z400 just about sneaks in under the new 0.2kW/kg, whereas it was too light under the old rules even if restricted to 33bhp.  My personal opinion is a stock DR-Z400 has just about adequate power:weight for general road use, so maybe the new limit is tolerable.  I'm glad it's not happening to me though!

bmwgs - you're wrong about power limits having no effect on top speed.  If gearing is correct (or near enough), then top speed is limited by power and drag, nothing else.  Cutting power will cut top speed.  Halving the power will reduce the top speed by roughly 20%.  If your bike is getting to the same top speed as an unrestricted one (60bhp-ish?), then either it's really making more than 33bhp, or there's something else limiting the top speed on that particular model of bike.  Are R100GS's speed-limited to 180kph, for example?  Or very low-geared so they hit the redline in top before running out of puff?

Reply to this Topic
wings1372

Aug 02

wings1372 says:

45hp was fine

Back when I was a youth my TZR250 2MA had just 45hp and it was an awesome piece of kit, I've never had so much fun on a bike than that one. The main thing that helped it's low"ish" power was it was very light and handled nicely. Been looking for a good one recently...how I loved that 2 stroke sound

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

The 0.2kW/kg is a fair point

But we've had the current restricted limit for 20 years now, and if you can find me a copper, CPS goon, insurer or for that matter professional motor journalist who can quote you the details[*] of that I'll eat my lid.  Not my good one, mind.

I really wouldn't let the new power-to-weight limit keep you awake.

[*] 25kW and 0.16kW/kg.  In the UK we're chosen to go with "net power output" - which means guestimating using dynomaths - and wet weight including any standard tools but not including luggage.  God knows how the heathens across the Channel implement any of it, if they do.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

More Needed?

I wish my Honda NHX110 had another 3 HP or so (giving 12 HP at the crank) so it would run about 5 mph faster top end and up hills. But still fun to ride.

Really, the 47 HP limit should apply to cagers who have not demonstrated advanced driving skills.

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

Of course.

75% of the bikes I have owned in the past where below 47hp and loved every minute of riding them. I still love motorcycling 25 years later, albeit on higher powered machines. For God's sake riding a piss powered Fizzie or moped is fun.

Reply to this Topic
moany100

Apr 11

moany100 says:

WHY SHOULD YOU !

Yeah you can have fun on any bike but why the hell should we as bikers be forced by anyone to ride a restricted model of bike.

anyone can pass a test and get in a ton and a half of car which is far more dangerous with as much power as they can afford

Reply to this Topic
jovee

Feb 09

jovee says:

47 BHP

47 BHP !!! All depends on skill level and experience and preference.... Hell I have seen people on 50 cc mopeds who need a power reduction... but as the question is if it is enough to have fun, then NO for experienced riders and yes for newbies and riders who don't want too much from their machine but the choice should still be there...As moany100 says you pass a car test and no restriction on car or power output there????? why the Bias against bikers?????. I wonder what would happen if some brave soul took this one through the courts??; would be interesting!!

Reply to this Topic
may c

Aug 02

may c says:

47bhp

cant see the point now of high powered bike/car if your caught doing over 100 mph its a ban and a big fine.last week in paper bloke doing 117 mph in his car  6 month ban and 850 pound fine.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices