Skip to content

Discuss This POLL: Why did you buy an adventure bike… really? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > POLL: Why did you buy an adventure bike… really?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

POLL: Why did you buy an adventure bike… really?

This year's Milan show has seen the release of a wide selection of adventure bikes, either updated or all-new models, from BMW, KTM, Aprilia, and Ducati among others. No doubt some of these bikes do huge distances every year, exploring the world on every surface imaginable. But just as many of them never venture anywhere more dangerous than the M25! So we...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 November 2012 16:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
spangle2k4

Aug 12

spangle2k4 says:

I voted "tired of sportsbikes" but that's not really accurate. I'm 6' 2" and an adventure bike is one of the few realistic options for someone of my size who wants to rack up a lot of miles in comfort.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

I believe this is just a fashion and the return of the Sports Tourer is just around the corner. You can't beat a bit of Busa or Blackbird on a long journey, unless you actually go off road of course, Being a short arse (With no Penis) doesn't help.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

I think its imagination related, people who ride sportsbikes, most like to pretend they're valentino rossi at the weekends. Cruiser guys are living that sort of american dream or bad boy image portrayed in the movies. And adventure bike riders like the idea of just heading for the sunrise, that capability of going anywhere. It's all just romantic ideas and what appeals to different types of people. Personally i would like an adventure bike but they're too tall and big for a little one like myself

Reply to this Topic
occytherp

Jul 05

occytherp says:

sports tourer please

I agree with Snev and steady2wheels, the sport tourer could indeed become a more viable alternative. I have owned a Blackbird and traded it in for a ZZR1400, for me the ZZR is the best blend of riding style, acceleration and comfort. I have never considered a big adventure bike, or imagine me riding one. Each to their own just keep riding and enjoy!

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

BMW1200GS

I've been asked before if I take my 1200GS (non adventure) off road, by sports bike riders. They then proceed to spout all sorts of crap when I tell them I DON'T take it off road.

I then ask them when was the last time they raced or track day'd their ZXRGSXRFirebladeCBRRRRSP. They don't seem to get the irony of having a race rep and NOT taking it on the track.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

eatcs01

I think you have summed up the Very reason..... Sports Tourers will Return.... Neither "Racetrack Pretender" nor "off road Adventurer" just "On Road Practical".

Reply to this Topic
factoryboy

Mar 10

factoryboy says:

steady2 wheels

steady i think you have it about right i have the same problem as you in reverse i long for another sports bike but being nearly 6' 5" [and most of that being legs] i gave up sports bikes in 2006 after 2 very cramped years on a 04 fireblade i went to a zzr1400 great bike but still cramped for a lanky fellow then went to a tuono great bike but neck muscles not up to the job ! ended up with a multistrada and at last comfort, people will get on the back, its fun to ride, quick enough in the real world ....have done a couple of track days with it {loads of fun but as the day progresses can't help thinking about the cost if i suddenly find out i.m not that talented ] and unbelievably yes i have taken it off road although i would'nt recommend it, just cleaning it afterwards is enough to put you off !! i think theres a place for most of these bikes in the market and people are buying them mostly for the reasons above COMFORT being the most important, if manufacturers looked at redesigning other nakeds, sports tourers,even sports bikes maybe the market will come back to them for me forget all the gadgets [funny coming from a multistrada owner ] and give us a option of different models we can all ride or the sportsbike etc may soon die out

Reply to this Topic
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

It's the Leatherman of bikes.

There's not much that my R1200GS Adventure can't do, considering it's size and weight. It can't for example, compete in a motocross event with any hope of success. It can, however, get round the course.

Neither can it run that competetively round a race track, but you can still have fun trying, and even surprise a few riders on sportsbikes.

It'll tour, carry loads of gear, go huge distances between fill ups, overtake cars with ease, carry a pillion in comfort, cross a wet, grassy campsite without falling over, go at some speed up a dirt track, and even have a little bit of fun on B roads.

The Ewan and Charley thing is getting a little tired now. There are owners of Adventure bikes who have never even seen the Long Way Round/Down. Anyone would think that BMW had never sold a single GS until Ewan and Charley did their thing.

I was touring on an Africa Twin in the early nineties, and the amount of XT500's and the like that I saw in Europe at that time, usually ridden by German tourists, was amazing. It's certainly not a new phenomenon.

Reply to this Topic
squires369

May 06

squires369 says:

sold mine

Three years of an adventure bike was enough for me,sold it & bought a GSXR750, totally impractable but sooo much more fun!

Reply to this Topic
ginganz13

Nov 09

ginganz13 says:

I mostly ride my 16 year old VFR where no-one else is arround - I couldn't give a flying fuck what anyone else thinks - I just like riding. Grew out of chasing the tossers mirage years ago.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices