Skip to content

Discuss This POLL: Why did you buy an adventure bike… really? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > POLL: Why did you buy an adventure bike… really?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

POLL: Why did you buy an adventure bike… really?

This year's Milan show has seen the release of a wide selection of adventure bikes, either updated or all-new models, from BMW, KTM, Aprilia, and Ducati among others. No doubt some of these bikes do huge distances every year, exploring the world on every surface imaginable. But just as many of them never venture anywhere more dangerous than the M25! So we...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 November 2012 16:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bud

Aug 02

bud says:

I liked the colour (roulette green) and it was cheap. And I look fucking awesome on it.

Reply to this Topic
karlmarx

Nov 12

karlmarx says:

adventure bikes have more leg room and you're not leaning on your wrists.

Reply to this Topic
Mr. Luck

Jan 08

Mr. Luck says:

easy

London roads are a state,

loves pot holes,

shaft drive,

220 miles to a tank,

easily the best depreciation for the amount of miles i do and i can see over cars on it while still pushing on and making decent progress, they can properly love corners with the right tyres....fact!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Distance Riding?

What is wrong with a sport-tourer for longer rides if most will be on pavement and none off-road? (By sport-tourer I mean everything from a Honda Dullsville to a BMW K1600GT, and not a more upright sport-bike with bags such as a Honda VFR800.)

Reply to this Topic
sj_edinburgh

Apr 04

sj_edinburgh says:

Fair points Piglet, but the Deauville is a lot more expensive than any of the middleweight adventure bikes, even with panniers and it's very much "old" technology. Adventure bikes are generally better priced than most of the shaft driven tourers and there are some of us out here who don't want shaft drive. Another factor is that all lot of our roads are so poorly maintained that they are becoming closer to offroad every day.

I don't own an Adventure bike but I genuinely don't think most people are buying them to pose on but simply because they are a lot more practical and less focused than many bikes available. I'm not talking BMW GSs but bikes like the V-strom 650 and Transalp which make brilliant do-it-all bikes.

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

"Adventure" Bikes

I run a tiger 800 as a summer toy, i love the engine & gearbox, especially the sound on the over-run & the suspension's fine on british "tarmac". The ergonomics & lack of weather protection make it fun up to about 90mph for about 1.5 hours before it becomes less fun & more tiring. If i want to go offroad through ruts & mud/water filled holes i'd take or hire a proper trail bike. If i was going long distance with the above thrown in i'd take an old 650 single and not worry about the inevitable damage.

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

As one or two other posters have said , adventure bikes are probably just another fad ! . Over the 40 odd years of my biking life I have seen many things come and go , but who really cares as long as everybody is on two wheels . Sometimes a change is as good as a rest , and older riders have not only grown tired of sport bikes & tourers but would like a change from high reving Jap bikes . But not for me I am afraid , to high , to ugly , and to old [the bike not me ] to change my riding style ! .

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

@ domster

You are right about off-road. If I had been on a BMW R1200GS last weekend instead of a half the weight Yamaha TW200, it would still be out in the woods and I would have had a very long walk home. Weight is the enemy off-road, even more so than on the track.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

@ sj_edinburgh

But the Honda Dullsville is like your friend who is boring, but never lets you down (when everyone else does). How can you not love a motorcycle that is as anti-poser/hip/cool/trendy/etc as one can be? And nothing is quite like riding a track day on a bike with built-in panniers.

As for old technology, the most popular “touring” bike in the US is the Harley-Davidson Street Glide, which would not be out of place in 1960.

images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/xlarge/6344668776565571872012-CVO-Street-Glide-beaut.jpg

Reply to this Topic
lidsneeze

Oct 12

lidsneeze says:

'B' Roads - the unloved

All bikes are great, that's fact, so passing fads don't apply. One of the biggest contributing factors to the growth in adventure/trailees are a result of the state of our roads today, they are utter shyte, especially where I live. The sportsbike way of life changed for me a few years back and now I find myself on a Tiger 800 XC, yeah I miss the power sometimes, but at the same time I've found an alternative to excitement, B-Roads, and there's a shed load of fun to be had. They don't come without their own issues though, cow shit, horses and their shit, pheasants, deer, tractors, cyclists, gravel, Mrs Drake in her 1 litre Yaris and more horse shit, but there are some cracking B-roads out there which injects adrenaline and laughs at 40-60mph in equal measure to the warp speed 9 days. The other nice thing about owning this bike is that I no longer care if it gets dirty, no more grabbing the WD40 and cloth the minute I get home, but in an ideal world where money was no object I'd have a bike from every class.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices