Skip to content

Discuss This POLL: Why did you buy an adventure bike… really? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > POLL: Why did you buy an adventure bike… really?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

POLL: Why did you buy an adventure bike… really?

This year's Milan show has seen the release of a wide selection of adventure bikes, either updated or all-new models, from BMW, KTM, Aprilia, and Ducati among others. No doubt some of these bikes do huge distances every year, exploring the world on every surface imaginable. But just as many of them never venture anywhere more dangerous than the M25! So we...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 November 2012 16:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
seanpogue

Nov 12

seanpogue says:

MCN - please get into your collective head that the popularity of "Adventure" bikes is nothing to do with Boorman & McGregor (which I have never seen).They are more likely to do with riding position,road view,versatility,value compared to tourers/most sports bikes etc etc

Reply to this Topic
markinnormy

Jan 09

markinnormy says:

Charlie and Ewan

You can't deny the Charlie and Ewan effect, even if it annoys some people. I see plenty of GS riders complete with Touratech panniers, Taureg desert style gortex and an Arai X4, just to do the 20 mile commute to work and good luck to them, if it makes them happy. Yes adventure bikes did exist before Long way round, but they were truly a niche market and never sold in any great numbers. It's no secret that it was one of bikings biggest marketing coups ever. It would be like trying to deny that GP, WSB, BSB has no effect on sports bike sales. I don't think they are a fad anymore than naked's and cruisers are, as they fit quite a broad slot in the market place. I just wish I was 6 feet tall, so I could go out and buy one.

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

comfort

and medical reasons

cant ride my beloved speed triple as my neck is buggered and the riding possition doesnt help.

so i bought a tiger and the riding position is perfect. did 1600 miles around scotland with mates brill.

Reply to this Topic
KiraShannen

Jan 12

KiraShannen says:

It's safe to say most of us bought the adventure bikes because we want to look cooler. That's the first step. Secondly, they don't need a ball screw repair as often as their more fragile sisters do. And if you want to go on a long trip someday, don't you want to know you have the means to do it?

Reply to this Topic
ChristianGuillaume

Jul 11

I'm not sure what kind of generator extension cord this bike possesses, but at this price, I'm sure it's not really good. I could buy it just to walk around town, but I wouldn't trust it to go on a trip.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle