Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Winter Cleaning? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Winter Cleaning?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Winter Cleaning?

"My friend runs an old ‘winter bike’ and garages his prized R1 during the cold months as he says the salt etc. damages his bike too much. I want to ride all through winter, but don’t have enough spare cash to buy a second bike, and neither do I have any idea how to prepare my bike for to survive...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 November 2012 16:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

My wife says...

...get a car. She hates the fact I'm riding through the winter but the fact is it takes me 2 hours to commute to work on the bike 3 hours or more in the car and I'm much more awake at the end of the journey on the bike too. I don't wash the bike every day but give it a quick rinse at weekends when I clean and lube the chain. Unless you have shaft drive you will need to continue to look after your chain especially with the added salt on the road. Even automated oilers require you to clean the chain so stop being lazy and use a bit of elbow grease!

Reply to this Topic
scoti74

May 11

scoti74 says:

What seems best

I've run my K4 GSXR1000 through 2 winters averaging approximately 60 miles per day. Preperation as follows: Full ACF treatment - I do it myself with a spray gun and compressor. Strip the bike, apply then finish off with hand application (remember to cover/remove brakes etc) Each night when I get in I give it a rinse with the hosepipe. I don't wash it until the end of winter or if I do I re-apply the ACF. If you don't want to apply it yourself there's a guy called All Year Biker who does it all for you! This has kept the bike in corrossion free shape. Hosing it off every day keeps alot of the grime off too.

Reply to this Topic
draper12807

Feb 11

draper12807 says:

I've done a winter on a cbr400 and now my second on a 02 gsxr 750 and one power wash a week and use kitchen degreaser and it copes perfectly fine. Winter only attacks steel/iron exhaust headers and chains but you can't really do anything extremely effective to protect them and a chain should be cleaned and lubed once a week.

Reply to this Topic
Breadmikey

Sep 12

Breadmikey says:

I have a 1999 Yamaha fazer and ride it all year round. If you want to keep riding in winter and keep your bike in good shape then id recommend a hose down after each ride to get a lot of the dirt off and then give it a good clean each weekend and re-oil/grease the recommended parts. Look after your bike and it'll look after you etc etc

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Hmmm..... Lets see, is it 34 or 35 winters now? Just ride and clean the bike when you feel like it. Keep the chain and all exposed levers and turning bits Lubricated, watch out for Mud and Horse Shit and enjoy the Unsalted dry road "Redline" days.

Reply to this Topic
Preadator

Jan 12

Preadator says:

I've got a GSXR750, it's 2 years old now and i use it to commute all year round and it still looks like new. During the Winter months it gets washed every weekend and i apply ACF50 to all the metal components that i can get to with a rag (excluding the brakes of course) and i spray the rear suspension, catalyser, radiator and manifolds with Scottoil FS360,It smokes a bit when you first start it up but the excess burns off real quick.

I have never rinsed it off after every ride and to be honest i probably don't have to apply the ACF50 every time i wash it but it only takes 5 minutes, i must be doing something right coz it really does still look new. When i tell people i ride it all year they never believe me because of the condition of it, its only when i turn the key and show them the 12000 miles on it do they believe me.

Reply to this Topic
siltec

Aug 02

siltec says:

WD 40

Liberally spray with WD40 - or similar regularly. Let the muck build up on the grease; but keep obviously keep it clear around brakes, chain etc. Best protection I ever found. Once spring arrive clean off and start again. Maybe in the autumn. Two washes a year, you do not need more (unless it has picked up muck from back roads etc.)

Machines are like people. Too clean and they conk out from allergies and the like.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

@ snev

I would have thought you would make the servants clean the motos.

Reply to this Topic
josh3446

May 09

josh3446 says:

ACF50 / F365 & Water

I'm a rural coastal rider so what works for me is giving it a good clean at the weekends then finish with anti-corrosion products like ACF50 or Scottoiler F365 on the exposed parts and also hose her down after each ride to wash off the sticky salt and dirt from the roads.

Reply to this Topic
paulfielding

Aug 02

paulfielding says:

ACF-50

I have a winter TL1000S (and a TL1000R for the summer). As already mentioned, ACF-50 is like WD40 on steroids. It doesn't wash off like WD40. Apply it to brake calipers, wheels, levers, well...anything metal. Once dry, it doesn't run or flow. I do my calipers (depending on the severity of the weather) every month-or-two. They are corrosion free after the harshest of winters.

Hint. spray it in to the lid and use a small paintbrush to apply.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices