Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Winter Cleaning? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Winter Cleaning?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Winter Cleaning?

"My friend runs an old ‘winter bike’ and garages his prized R1 during the cold months as he says the salt etc. damages his bike too much. I want to ride all through winter, but don’t have enough spare cash to buy a second bike, and neither do I have any idea how to prepare my bike for to survive...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 November 2012 16:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

just wash it down and put more protection spray on alike 3times aweek

i wash my bike down after ever other ride and respray the bike with protection spray  to keep it from rusting.

it just a pain to cover the bike in protection spray then ride the bike in the rain the next day then have to come home and put more on. i use muck off winter protection spray.

plus some time time in dec / jan i will have to stop running the bike as the back road will never get gritted so it be unsafe to ride it.

Reply to this Topic
r6buz

May 05

r6buz says:

bolts

The biggest problem is that salt water is electrically conductive. Aluminium parts are held by steel bolts and this causes bi-metalic corrosion. When new bikes are built all the bolts are put in dry and will corrode in place making them very difficult to remove. This is especially troublesome where the bolt goes through a bearing or bush (axle bolt, suspension link etc) because you can't break it free by turning, meaning the only option is a big hammer.

Remove and grease as many bolt as you can.

Reply to this Topic
jahagon

Mar 10

jahagon says:

ACF-50

I swear by the stuff. Fantastic fizzing purple foam that keeps even the most exposed parts completely rust free.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

WD40

At the courier company where I worked some years ago we used to buy 5 Litre cans of WD40 and an applicator pump. With plastic bags over the brake discs and calipers we would spray it eveywhere inside and around the bike, getting it into all the nooks and crannies. Then we'd wash off the bodywork, tank, fairing etc, with car shampoo and leather dry. The bikes used to go right through a winter of rain, snow and salted roads with this cleaning regime used whenever they were mucky. In the Spring a thorough wash off with hot water or a jet wash if you know what you're doing and some wax polish would have the bikes looking like new. The layer of WD40 and crud seemed to keep the salt corrosion in check.

Reply to this Topic
psychoSam

Aug 12

psychoSam says:

I like to soap it all over and give it a good buffing.

Reply to this Topic
jeremyr62

Aug 02

jeremyr62 says:

ACF50 works but you have to reapply it pretty frequently IMO. If you want a one time solution then you can try Waxoyl. I paint the corrosion susceptible parts of my FJR with it in October and then leave the bike pretty much alone until March. It will look awful as crap sticks to the Waxoyl but underneath the paint/steel/aluminium alloy will be protected. If the bike get covered in road salt I just hose it down with cold water. The hard parts comes in getting it off. It takes a nice hot day and some white spirit and a few hours. Rather that then pratting about with ACF-50 every few days.

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

WD40

I endorse the coments on WD40 by bob_1     I have used it over several winters and it's the best thing I've tried.

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

ACF50

1 application at the start of winter and it was fine. Washed it off in spring to reveal lovely clean shiny bolts.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

@ r6buz

Use a proper anti-seize grease wherever dissimilar metals are in contact (such as your example of steel bolts in aluminium alloy threads).

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

+1 on the ACF50...

... apply at start of winter... give one good wash/re-apply during winter... wash it off in spring.

If you're using it every day for work chances are you're starting & getting home in the dark & half the time the hose is frozen so washing every ride is not practical. ACF50 does the job (so long as you don't water it down by spraying on other products like WD).

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices