Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Winter Cleaning? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Winter Cleaning?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Winter Cleaning?

"My friend runs an old ‘winter bike’ and garages his prized R1 during the cold months as he says the salt etc. damages his bike too much. I want to ride all through winter, but don’t have enough spare cash to buy a second bike, and neither do I have any idea how to prepare my bike for to survive...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 November 2012 16:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Dr Mengle

Apr 03

Dr Mengle says:

Organic washing

Take bike out in rain, ride through puddles. What doesn't come off can be left for the next ride. Sorted!

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Cover it

in Scottoil 365 / WD40 / Silicone spray (back to black). If you have to wash it use COLD water (hot water activates salt) and then re-treat with the oil / silicone. Make sure you keep any oil products well away from brake discs. All the best!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Some sage advice already give. In addition, you might want to think about getting under the bodywork and treating the electrics etc. to a dollop of ACF 50's corrosion block grease or something similar? That salt spray is horrible stuff and gets in all sorts of places. As for drying, I use a garden leaf blower (which can blow as well as suck, oooeeerrrr) and a chamois to follow up. By the way, Muc off does a silicon shine spray which is the absolute biz for fairings etc. and it smells quite pleasant too. Seats can get very dirty in winter, but a bit of swarfega gets the grime out very effectively come the spring time.

God I hate the winter.................

Reply to this Topic
d0nkeychop

May 10

d0nkeychop says:

Start with a clean bike, wash, wax, decent polish, ACF 50 on metal (except brakes...) and electrics WD40 everywhere else. Cold water rinse when you get chance and a proper wash again in spring.

Reply to this Topic
geoffb61

Sep 08

geoffb61 says:

Avoid the jetwasher

jet washers may be good for fairings and other body panels, but you need to be careful (I never use them on the bike) as they can inject water where you really don't want it - bearings, connectors and the like.

Best avoided

Reply to this Topic
mrp192

Mar 08

mrp192 says:

winter maintainance

I use FS365 rather then acf50. If I come in from a wet ride in the salt period I let the bike cool then use a small spray bottle filled with de-ionised water and a bottle brush to clean the calipers and discs. Then cover them with carrier bags and spray the whole bike with FS365. Once the water has evaporated it leaves the bike covered in an oily film that protects it from salt damage.

I wash it once it gets really dirty, about every 4 or 5 commutes and then reapply the fs365 before using it again.

FS365 is much cheaper to buy in 5 litre containers and in the past have got an even better deal by buying 3 at a time. Shop around on the web for the best price.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

In the old days........

When we had proper winters and bikes had kick starts......... when cars were for cissies...... when we rode to work all year round come ice and snow..............when men were men and sheep were nervous....... wibble.... waffle.............

We used to smear various parts on the bike with a thin coating of grease and leave it on over winter to wash it off in spring when the last residues of salt had gone from the roads. The parts we smeared with grease were: wheels, brake banjo bolts and bleed nipples, major frame fasteners and wheel nuts, under frame and swing arm. Mind you it was a very thin coating and had to be applied with care to avoid contact with the brakes !

The good news is it does work and it will keep the corrosion monster at bay for one whole winter. Standard bike fasteners and things like banjo bolts, axle pinch bolts etc  haven't improved since the 70s. Still made of monkey metal.

Reply to this Topic
ginganz13

Nov 09

ginganz13 says:

Miracle Solution beats ACF50 & FS365

One application - moved to New Zealand

Reply to this Topic
ABoo333

Nov 12

ABoo333 says:

Maintenance

Seriously - If I thought I had to do half the amount of winter care some people on here are doing I would take the bus, just wash it when you can be arsed and except that bikes can't stay new forever!

My Fav so far comes from mrp192 ......... "If I come in from a wet ride in the salt period I let the bike cool then use a small spray bottle filled with de-ionised water and a bottle brush to clean the calipers and discs"............ are you sure you should not be using evian and imperial leather?

Reply to this Topic
Histy

Sep 10

Histy says:

Rinse Well

Well as a bike school we ride all year every year. When we have had a day out in the rain on salted roads all we do is rinse the bikes well with a hose. Just check the chains for lube and all is well. We give them a propa wash once a week but other than that just keep an eye on them.

Histy - www.kkridertraining.co.uk

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices