Skip to content

Ask an Expert Tyre pressures - bit worried! Tyres

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Tyre pressures - bit worried!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

Tyre pressures - bit worried!

Purchased my ER-6f about a month and a half ago from a dealer, expecting the bike to be serviced and ship-shape.

Regularly cleaned it since taking ownership & do quick maintenance checks every time I ride it (checking for tyre damage, fork seals, bolts, bulbs/horn, oil, etc) but haven't had a tyre pressure gauge until now as my girlfriend has had mine since I got rid of my car 2 years ago.

Checked pressures today and found that my front tire was fine (32 psi) but my rear tyre was at 15 psi (according to the manual it's supposed to be 36)... what the fuck... Went out in the car to pick up an automatic pump and have now pumped it up, measured it with the same gauge and it's now at 35. I'll check it again in the morning to make sure it hasn't gone down overnight, suggesting a puncture.

Sat on the bike after pumping it up and it felt very different, much firmer, which makes me think that the tyre's been that low since I picked it up... I passed my test just before I bought the bike so I've not really known any different - unfortunately I just don't have the experience to know whether a tyre feels flat or not! Although judging by just sitting on it I think I'll be able to tell in future :-/

Will there be any lasting damage from running the tire that low? Is it wise to look at replacing them?

Bit cross with myself for not checking them sooner as I have a feeling I've just cheated death every day for the last month and a half :-/

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (14 November 2012 19:03)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

low pressure damage

You or I don`t know if any damage has been caused,

low pressure causes increased heat and weaker tyre walls,if it was my bike,i would bite the bullet and replace it.

Also you don`t know the history of either tyres because according to your profile it`s a 2010 model.  

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

hmm

Aye that's what I was wondering. Might just replace them anyway! Cheers jaffa :-)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices