You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Gasket making

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mickh13

Aug 09

mickh13 says:

Gasket making

I need to replace a leaking rocker cover gasket on my DR200 and am going to have a bash at making my own,Any top tips on this subject will be gratefully received as it's my first time.Cheers.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (14 November 2012 21:07)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

gasket

It won't be expensive for a proper gasket........ However, you did ask, so, any motor factors will sell you sheets of gasket paper, in varying thicknesses. They will also sell you (very cheaply) a set of hole punches. Smear a little grease or oil on the face of the valve cover, and press said cover onto a piece of gasket paper...... now you will have an imprint of the gasket to cut out.... tap out the holes first, with your new hole punches and a hammer. (do this on a piece of flat timber).Dead easy, but as I said, a new gasket won't be expensive, if you can get one.  :wink:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

gaskets

mick,are you talking paper or rubber gaskets?

Rocker/valve cover gaskets can be rubber because it`s a servicible item.

When i was a lad car ones were made of cork.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki DR200 year??

Hi Mickh13

All good advice,but if am right i don't think this engine has either a paper or rubber rocker box gasket(face to face seal)i think its just sealed with gasket goo(Suzuki bond,or what i use if no manufactures sealer about Threebond)but any high temperature liquid gasket sealer will do,could also be leaking from the camshaft end seal?think in English money they would be about £3.Good Look

KCMC:tongue: 

Reply to this Topic
mickh13

Aug 09

mickh13 says:

gaskets

Cheers for the answers lads,all good stuff.The bike is a 1996 and the leak appears to be at the front,just left of center.I won't be investigating til' i have 3 weeks holiday in december to allow time for nasty discoveries[as can happen sometimes!]Mick.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

gasket

or no gasket i use RTV silicone,on clean surfaces coating the fixed outer edge and leave for a hour then assemble finger tight for 24 hours then tighten cross ways using your little finger.(in other words not too tight)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices