Skip to content

Ask an Expert very lengthy Aprilia insurance repairs - advice please Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > very lengthy Aprilia insurance repairs - advice please

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

pollynirvana

Nov 12

pollynirvana says:

very lengthy Aprilia insurance repairs - advice please

I would like to share a problem I am having regarding an insurance repair that has been going on for months. In mid-April this year I put my 2010 Aprilia RSV4  factory (my pride and joy) in a ditch and I informed my insurance company immediately. The bike was collected by BLD after 3 days, and I was fairly convinced that I would not see it again due to its condition, but consequently  my insurance company deemed it repairable.

Little did I know the grief that would be coming my way regarding the parts for this bike and the unhelpful and arrogant nature of Aprilia. It became apparent that some parts were in the UK, but some (a frame, a swingarm and many panels) had to be sourced from Aprilia in Italy.  BLD appointed Fowlers Motorcycles to source the parts from Aprilia UK, who in turn sourced all unavailable items from Aprilia Italy.

It took five months to receive the parts from Italy, and when they arrived the front fairing was broken, and the swingarm was 11mm narrower than the original at the axle, so the rear wheel would not fit! Aprilia were contacted by BLD over the swingarm issue, but they denied there was a problem with the part for 6 weeks even after  BLD had sent photos of the two swingarms. (It would appear that Aprilia made a batch of swingarms incorrectly). 

I have complained to my insurer about the time this is all taking, their response has been that it has been a combination of manufacture faults, Italy’s summer shut down, an earthquake in Italy and a general back log of parts orders.

I recently read in the MCN that Aprilia now have a 95% success rate with parts picking and that Aprilia have made huge leaps and bounds according to John Caughlan, owner of Bikers World in East Grinstead, but this has not been my experience.

The latest update from BLD is that a new swingarm is due to arrive on 1st December.  BLD inform me that this situation is par for the course when dealing with the Italian manufacturers (they currently have a Tuono in the workshop which is in the same situation).

I am hoping that someone can offer good advice as to how to speed up this painful process. I have now been waiting for my bike back for 7 months. This is unacceptable by anyone’s standards. I am also curious as to where I stand legally regarding compensation due to the inordinate amount of time this has taken.

Am I entitled to any compensation for the length of time the bike has been off road?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

:mad:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 November 2012 23:44)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Italian spares

Firstly, sorry to hear that you stacked your pride and joy. 

It has long been accepted that Italian manufacturers are not good at providing spares back-up and, judging by comments in the press & on various forums, Aprilia in particular seem to be bad.  As this is commonly known, I am sure that it is something that most potential owners take into consideration before buying an Itlaian bike.

The decision to repair instead of write-off is purely a financial one and I do not believe that there is an obligation on the part of the insurance company to take into account the time it will take for the sprares to be provided. 

With respect to compensation for loss of use of the bike I don't think you'll have much luck there.  I assume from your description of the accident that it was not the fault of a third party so there's no-one to claim from there.  Inless you have an agreement with them to the contrary, there is no obligation on Aprilia to provide spares within a specific time frame so you can't point liability in that direction either.  As for your insurers, there obligation is to compensdate you for the loss by either repairing the bike or paying out in the event of a total loss so they are meeting their contractural obligation to you by paying for the repairs - and it's not their fault that the spares are taking an age to arrive.

Unfortunately, the situation is the result of buying an Italian bike and sticking it in a ditch.  The strongest protest you can make is not to give Aprilia your business next time you are bike shopping. 

I hope you manage to get it sorted before too long.       

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices