Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Italian Reliability General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Italian Reliability

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Italian Reliability

"Has the quality of Italian motorcycles really matched the Japanese and Germans now? I'd love something with a bit more character than my Hornet 900, but don't want to have to employ someone to ride behind with a bucket and spade, scooping up all the bits that fall off. I know they've come a long way – but are they...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 November 2012 14:26)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
colinS2R

Mar 06

colinS2R says:

Bought a ducati 848 after three years with an 07 triumph daytona 675. The triumph was a nightmare, three rectifiers died, endless exhaust valve grief and a long list of other problems, spent more time in AA vans than on the bike. The 848 hasn't missed a beat in a year and a half, ridden pretty much every day through all weathers,it's been more reliable than the Honda CBR600RR I owned which had its fair share of issues too.

Reply to this Topic
essexboyc

May 05

essexboyc says:

Top quality finish

I've had a Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport for nearly 2 years now and done 11k miles on it and it's never let me down so far. I've ridden it through all types of weather and during the winter too. The finish in my opinion is excellent, much better than the '06 Triumph Tiger 1050 I had before it which seemed to be built to a budget whereas the Guzzi has top quality parts that last better even though the two bikes cost about the same.

The Guzzi is more like the 1st generation Hinckley Triumphs (I had a Thunderbird 900), where they have engineered the bikes to last compared to the later Triumphs which are being built cheaper for the mass market. My Tiger had several warranty claims against it and it frustrated me at times although the dealer I used was brilliant, I couldn't fault the customer service. I would recommend anyone trying a Moto Guzzi and seeing if they like it, take a long test ride though to get used to it.

If you want a truly bulletproof reliable bike, get a Honda C90 Cub, my little commuter bike is 20 years old, gets ridden every day for work, has never given me any reliability issues and if you look after it well, will probably keep going forever.

Reply to this Topic
GVIrish

Jul 10

GVIrish says:

Bought a base mode Panigale in June, had it in for 2 sets of recalls which honestly weren't a big deal.   But, the bike developed an oil leak at about 1800 miles.  Bike sat in the dealership for 2 weeks awaiting a response from the Ducati North America warranty dept, then received a new engine.  While replacing the engine they also replaced a faulty exhaust valve.  Total downtime: 3 weeks.

Not sure if it was my dealership or Ducati NA that dropped the ball but the bike has been down for more time in 6 months than my CBR600RR, then my CBR1000RR were in 6 years.

I'd say Italian reliability is better than it was before but still not up to the standard of the best from Japan for the most part.

Reply to this Topic
julienducat

Dec 10

julienducat says:

Facts, to date :

My dad's 916 : 135,000 miles : no engine breakdown at all. Of course, some minor parts changed! No major maintenance work either.

My uncle's 916 : 112,500 miles : changed the crankcase (crack)

My 750 SSie : 50,000 miles : oil pressure sensor failed, that's it.

My 1100 Monster : 22,500 miles : brake discs under warranty.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Honda?

Remember that several Honda models (CB1000R and a bunch of scooters...) are made in Italy, and do not seem to have excessive problems.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

@ SatNavSteve

What do you mean by “locked up”? Coming to stop with the rear wheel skidding without applying the brake, or something else?What do you mean by “locked up”? Coming to stop with the rear wheel skidding without applying the brake, or something else?

Reply to this Topic
mike27

Aug 02

mike27 says:

What about Aprilia?

Had an 03 RSV and it was pretty well put together and didn't let me down in 4 years and 11k, but bikes are pampered: sticking to the manufacturers schedule meant 5 services in that period, including 2 valve checks. Shouldn't be any mech issues with that level of pampering. Some cars are now at 20k service intervals and almost never break down. Guess what I am saying is reliable and well-built in the bike context are relative rather than absolute terms...

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Piglet2010!

Locked up like when the engine seizes and yes, he skidded to a halt and was glad to be only doing 30mph in a straight line. A lucky escape and one he wasn't going to risk a second time. He sold the bike as soon as he got it back and who could blame him!

Reply to this Topic
Jconway651

Aug 11

Jconway651 says:

Satnavsteve this whole monster locking up story is very vague? So what was it the abs coming on or the engine dying. The abs locking up is a worrying prospect but an engine cutting out isn't something I'd consider at all dangerous even with the v twin engine breaking, also they have slipper clutches so presumably couldn't "lock" up all that quickly anyway?? I've had many a cold Ducati cut out on me especially older 749 and mates 999's .

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Jconwat651!

As I said, the dealer couldn't find anything wrong with it so we will never know what caused it. Thats the worrying part about it. I'm guessing that whatever caused it freed of when it was stripped. Probably a one off, but it did nothing for my mates confidence.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices