Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Italian Reliability General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Italian Reliability

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Italian Reliability

"Has the quality of Italian motorcycles really matched the Japanese and Germans now? I'd love something with a bit more character than my Hornet 900, but don't want to have to employ someone to ride behind with a bucket and spade, scooping up all the bits that fall off. I know they've come a long way – but are they...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 November 2012 14:26)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
hutch200

Nov 12

hutch200 says:

Ducati 848 - Terrible

I had an 848 from new, first service it went in for it had to have a complete engine re-build as it was shimmed wrong from the factory. then as follows:- New petrol tank as the paint was peeling 2 new stand switches 3 radiators as they cracked 4 new ECU - engine would not start with caution light on I admit that they resolved the problems each time, but i lost confidence in the bike. I then had several emails between me and Tony at Ducati UK, PLEASE NOTE.... he refused to speak to me on the phone. they offered me £500 off a new bike and 6K trade in on mine. A dealer that knew nothing about my problems gave me the same off the new bike and offered 7.5k for mine. Really sad that they couldn't help me, i loved the bike, just didnt trust it. After 14 months of owning the 848 i traded it against an S1000rr. No problems and am now on my second S1000. Do you think Ducati care??? Doubt it!!!

Reply to this Topic
Mr.Number

Nov 07

Mr.Number says:

Ducati S2R1000, without question the most reliable bike iv ever owned, and it's been ridden hard, commuting daily and European trips to the moto gp circuits. DS 992 engine is bomb proof and just keeps on going. Bought the bike with around 4,000 miles now nudging 35,000, honestly, not one problem and despite all the choice out there as alternatives I would buy another as its an honest bike. Keep on top of the belts and oil changes, running gear. The problem with some owners of the ducati sport bike range, is that they are not using the bike regularly and only fire the bike up on the odd sunny weekend. Ducati twins need to be thoroughly warmed up before you feel the benefits. Regular use, getting the engine working is the key, not stuck in a garage wrapped in cotton wool. Great bikes in my opinion, Ducati certainly have come a long way, quality of components and build quality is up there with any of the others, see some of Michael Neeves reviews of the street fighter range. If its a twin engine you want then ducati have that market nailed down. Unfortunate to hear about the 848 below, sounds like a stinker but nothing I havnt heard about honda or Yamaha etc.

Reply to this Topic
arnunn

Jul 06

arnunn says:

quality control

Its just about the quality control as to the number of bad ones that get on to the market. An ex work colleague had a 696 monster that over its 4 year life had never seen an oil change, the chain had become a sort of furry caterpillar and it spent so much time on its side you would swear it fell over itself to get some kip! but it always started, and ran sweet enough and when I kidnapped it, it even cleaned up lovely! He, like so many others, bought it because it is italian and the accessories are fashionable.

Reply to this Topic
motorbykcourier

Nov 12

Guzzi - can't complain.

I bought my Guzzi in 2010 its now approaching 100K miles, yes you read that correct 100,000 miles - so I guess that says something about Italian / Guzzi bikes and reliability.

Currently looking forward to the next 100K....

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

My missus bought a brand new Guzzi 750 Breva last year and after 200 miles, there was an oil leak from between the cylinders. It turned out to be a porous crankcase and the engine had to be rebuilt with a new one. Not a small job but done by the great guys at Rocket Centre in Blackburn and there were no probs after that. The quality of the bike seemed fine to me and it ran great but my missus was disappointed with it and sold it. She won't part with her 5 year old T100 Bonny which has been faultless. It wouldn't put me off buying a Guzzi but I wouldn't touch a Ducati, but thats just my opinion. I have a mate with a Ducati that has 120,000 miles on the clock!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

as a collector of bikes and other things

I would say that Italian Vehicles are very much better than they used to be but if you really want to go somewhere and not worry, then buy Japanese or Honda.

Reply to this Topic
chriswren

Jul 09

chriswren says:

I'd trust Ducati and the Diavel is standing up to a good pounding but i couldn't recommend an MV to anyone that wants to do more than just polish it with out having a factory support van follow them everywhere.

Reply to this Topic
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

One of the instructors at the Mondello Park track days has a Ducati 1098 with all track miles and had no trouble with it. I had a 954 blade that put me off Honda.

Reply to this Topic
pottersbar

Apr 06

pottersbar says:

Purchased MV F3 in June, to date covered 4000 miles. Initial problem with the fuel mapping which was well documented, but resolved with an update. Only problem so far, gear selection indicator giving false readings.

Daytona 675SE before, covered 9000 miles, problem with oil and water leaks (three attempts to rectify) and quickshifter operation

Reply to this Topic
tancakar

Sep 11

tancakar says:

italians

i think new generation italian ikes have been very good last, longer,safer but i cant comment on the old ducati's as i hear everyday that they are nightmare.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices