Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Italian Reliability General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Italian Reliability

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Italian Reliability

"Has the quality of Italian motorcycles really matched the Japanese and Germans now? I'd love something with a bit more character than my Hornet 900, but don't want to have to employ someone to ride behind with a bucket and spade, scooping up all the bits that fall off. I know they've come a long way – but are they...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 November 2012 14:26)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Jconway651!!

Sorry, misspelt your name. Only just woken up!!!

Reply to this Topic
snapple

Apr 11

snapple says:

Pretty Good actually...

I own a 999s (04) Grey Swingarm, early engine...  Always starts although patience is required in winter, brake switch replaced and spark plug exploded in cylinder (mechanic had never seen anthing like it before in 20 years of Ducs and thinks it was tightened too much on last service by previous owner) - Only off the road for a week getting parts and fitting.  Other than that nothing bad to report, only good things and wouldn't swap it for ANYTHING!

My Ex also had a 1995 Monster 600, 13k  a bit shabby when we got it but owned it for two years, took it over to france (I had an R1 04 at the time) and it never missed a beat unlike the R1!!!  Only fault we had was a leaking crankcase which cost about £40 to get re-sealed.  Awesome little bike for around town too I might add!!  Got me on two of those Driver Awareness courses..  So riding a Ducati truly is an education.

I'm sure they are loads of sheds out there and they are higher maintenance that your "average" Jap bike but get one that has been looked after and serviced and you'll be happy for years to come.....  more smiles than frowns thats for sure!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Aprilia RSV1000 06

Owned for 18 months, no issues at all. Sorned and tucked up in bed for the winter Never been wet or covered in salt and never will be as long as I keep it. The Hayabusa gets all the crap No issues at all with that bike either apart from "Furry Nuts". I fancy an MV, the new 800 brutale would be nice.

Reply to this Topic
sizzler

May 06

sizzler says:

Yamaha szr660-Italia !!

The mirrors fell off now and then, the brake switch shorted and set fire to underneath of seat...smoking, Battery just died with no warnings, N=Bits used to fall off it now and then but !!!!! I loved it , pissed a lot of sports bikes off on twisties and only had 50 hp...I loved the little thing....Italian made jap ..Interesting mix but loved it to bits. ride a blade now ..lol

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Honda NX 125

My old bike was a 21 year old Italian imported bike. I think it was made there but not sure. Couldn't source any bits for it , even from Honda , due to it's age. During the 1/2 year I had it , I spent more time fixing it than riding it. The bike was in bad nick when we got it though so that might explain a lot , and most of the time was spent powder coating , painting and rebuilding.

But the times I DID ride it , it was solid.

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

all of todays bikes

are so highly tuned and made using cheeper metals and of course shitloads more electronics that all bikes are more unreliable

just a thought  yes the italian,s  have got more reliable  but also have the big 4 got more unreliable

my old GS750 and 1000 never missed a beat and never serviced  my old gsx1100r slabbie and gsx100r hated water and went through carbies approx every 18 months

chriswren m8  i ride a lot with the MVowners in our group and can honestly say the mv in the last 5 yrs the only mv to brakedown was mine due to a 3 inch nail in the front tire

my MV only let me down once ecu/fuelinjecton  problem replaced by mv  part made by mitsubushi same part thats in all trupies suzies and yams .. they all had the same failour rate BUT IT WAS ONLY MV THAT DID A RECALL

im not saying that MV's or any ITI bikes are perfect there not  yep ive  had fuses blow on the lighting ,battery die same as my GSX1400 but the most anoying thing is that in 8 yrs ive had 4 punchers (must be an mv reliability thing) and 45 sets of tires

sat mate sorry been doing a lot of checking via a m8 who works for duke  nothing reported  was 2 cases of  riders smashing through the gear box and claiming it just seized up one was an 1100   think this mite be a porkie.. as my m8 explained if they have a problem like that they dont just send them back out with a thats ok m8 .......thats what they did in the 70s and 80s

as for the oil leak between the cylinders on the guzzie you have an engine block between them  and with todays tech a pourous block is easy to fix  triumph and norton used to fix that problem with in 24hrs

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

brutale r!

How do you 'fix' a porous crankcase? The importers clearly thought they couldn't and in 40 years in engineering, I've never heard of any procedure that would cure it. The only answer was to replace it which meant either a new crankcase (£440) plus labour or a new engine (£3300) plus labour. The importers thought the former idea. Maybe you should contact Moto Guzzi if you have a ground-breaking idea that would save them money. It was a cracking little bike but gutless. Another 10-12bhp would have made it worthwhile but on the motorway, you struggle to overtake.

Reply to this Topic
siltec

Aug 02

siltec says:

Cycle Parts

Being a Bitza the MZ Skorpion has Italian wheels, brakes and controls. Now I do treat mine like an MZ. Kept in a garage, used all year around and washed twice a year. Well, after 12 years the coating on the wheels is fine. No problems with the brakes or controls. Yamaha engine has taken time well too as has the German frame, but cannot complain about the Italian bits.

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

steve

mick hemmings fixed my norton head up to race spec not a drop of oil  Rex Judds fixed a honda of mine porous crankcases  lgk of harrow fixed my trident T150 and my slabbie  and i did on my C15  ...

apprently talking to engine egineers here its not that hard  

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

brutale r!

I didn't ask you who did it, I said how? And I hope you're not confusing leaking joints with porous materials. Leaking joints are easy to fix Fixing a porous casting would be like trying to fill all the holes in a sponge. A technical explanation please!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices