Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Italian Reliability General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Italian Reliability

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Italian Reliability

"Has the quality of Italian motorcycles really matched the Japanese and Germans now? I'd love something with a bit more character than my Hornet 900, but don't want to have to employ someone to ride behind with a bucket and spade, scooping up all the bits that fall off. I know they've come a long way – but are they...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 November 2012 14:26)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

mate

talk to a real engineer he will tell you how

try giving these guys a call they will explane it very simply and slowly  just for you

i cant write it slow enough for you

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

brutale r!

I am an engineer, a time served toolmaker. Thats why I know what I'm talking about. Even if you could repair a porous casting (which you can't without re-casting it) it would obviously involve stripping the engine first and if you succeeded, you would then have to sandblast and re-enamel the engine to its original finish, making it a very expensive job.  The crankcase was probably porous because there were impurities in the metal or the casting process wasn't done properly. Sounds like the people who 'repaired' your porous casting ripped you off when you had some other easily fixed problem and charged you accordingly. Thats what happens when you don't know what you are talking about.

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

yes

i have to admit they all ripped me off  took my bikes in leaking from porous parts.. then when i got them back the rip off bastards had stopped the leaks and took my money

lets tell you what you need de greaser caustic some sort of resgin and pressure injector no need to strip engine

mick hemming did ally weld the head

you said

"Sounds like the people who 'repaired' your porous casting ripped you off when you had some other easily fixed problem and charged you accordingly. Thats what happens when you don't know what you are talking about"

your a complete  knob its fixed

if you have a dent in your cars wing .. you get a car body detailer to repair it and he fills it and makes it like new

in my way of thinking hes repaired it

in your way hes ripped you off :lol::lol::lol::lol::tongue: 

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

brutale r M8!

Well, you have convinced me of something, you know bugger all about engineering!

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

you ave no idea do u

lets talk engeering hey firstly im an elect engineer hnc

also engineering degree in water reverse osmosis dhp level 1 (highest you can get) chemical engineer .. i design reverse osmosis plants up 100mg L  im not a fitter and turner like u

just so you understand reverse osmosis aint a jap car going backwards

now fool you said a porous block could not be fixed well it can in more than 1 way

1 way is chemical resin fusion this typr of thing has been about since 16 th centery 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

bruty M8 !

I have respect for your electrical expertise, but you are not a mechanical engineer. Even if what you propose was feasable, you would have to strip the engine to do a job properly and thats not a 24 hour turnaround job. You can't fix a porous casting just by smearing resin on it, theres a lot of heat and pressure involved in an engine. I've worked with lots of castings when I worked on N/C machining and if any were found to be porous, no-one suggested smearing resin on, it was sent back to the foundry as scrap. And chemical resin fusion has been around since the 16th century? You must tell me what literature I can buy that tells me all about that. As long as its not in Latin. Now lets leave it at that coz the other readers must be bored by now. 

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

m8

as i said to u b4 u no nuffin

point 1 with a chemical/resin fusion you dont need to strip an  engine down  if you dont no about it dont  bag it ok

and yes if you can find a porous casting before it goes out yep its scrap

when it built and running you repair it and b4 u start spouting crap  ever heard of old bikers puttind araldite over holes in the engines, tanks i even raced an old norton re paired with araldite  with a hole the size of a 10p peice thats 1 form of chemical fixing 

membrane  paint has been about since the 16th centery.. also airplanes had cloth and dope on them chemical fusion 

i can give you a list a mile long  

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Yep

I'm Bored.zzzzzzzz

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

sorry guys

did not mean to bore any one

but when ever anything italin is mentioned steve has to spout crap ...........dont know why no one is making him get an ITI bike  ..so if you dont know first hand dont repete stories from drunks down the pub

BUT  back to the question yep iti bikes have got more reliable and are finished better than any other bike ...

are they ae reliable as jap bikes prob not but then jap bikes are not as reliable as they once were.. its hard to say and joking aside but harley have sorted their act out and are very very reliable (the real modern ones 5yrs old to date)good on HD(they still dont handle )

the main thing is buy the bike you like ..if want boring and just press a button and ride with no personailty get a gold wing or R100R .........but just remember if you buy a triumph remember to wear the tinfoil under you lid coz it looks like they rot your brain with not gamma rays but gumby rays (not all are effected just the weak minded)

as ive said before ive had allsorts of bikes some good some bad 

one other point  how many have heard someone come out of hospital every thing went great food was exelent nurses perfect understood the Dr every word  prob never which is proberly 85+%  but we all hear the horror stories from the other 15% and most of what they say is over exagerated bullshit

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Just to put the record straight, I have owned Italian bikes, 3 Moto Guzzis and a Benelli 750 6. I was, in the 80's, in the Guzzi club and organised 2 International Moto Guzzi rallies, a number  of camping weekends and numerous club runs. Btutale r tells me he has a degree in electrical engineering, well looking at his writing, I find it amazing he got through it writing like this. Probably bought the certificate off the internet, but don't take my word for it, read his comments yourself and make your own minds up. I don't come on this site to insult people, just to give my views or have a laugh. When it comes to insulting someone on here when you know nothing about them, that is always a sign of frustration because you have lost the arguement. Brutale r makes comments but never backs them up with facts, only insults, which is an indication of his IQ. And before he makes a comment on that, I've been a member of Mensa for 15 years, whats your claim to fame, M8!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices