Skip to content

Discuss This Last-minute changes to bike test rules General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Last-minute changes to bike test rules

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Last-minute changes to bike test rules

Wranglings over what motorcycles can be used under new bike test rules are continuing with only weeks to go before the January introduction date. In August the Driving Standards Agency said the test for an unrestricted category ‘A’ motorcycle licence would have to be taken on bikes of at least 67bhp under plans. But now the DSA has said that...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 November 2012 16:58)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

flydnb..........

You must pass both mod 1 and mod 2 on bikes of the same category, either DAS or 125cc you can't mix and match mate

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

flyndb

As I understand it, when the new rules come in if you haven't done mod 2, you'll have to take a step back so it goes from "only being able to order a half" to "only being able to order a lemonade". As preunit says: "get the heffer out of the way".

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Pass on a 125, ride a 125

The idea is that you only get a license to ride the class of bike that you pass on.  So pass on a 125 under the new rules, you get a license to ride that 125.  The difference is that the L plates come off, you can go on a motorway (not that you'll want to) and can take a pillion (if you can find someone who will cover that risk).

If this seems strange, it's really because the UK has solo L riding on a provisional.  There's not even a hint of that in the Euro directives, and I can't believe that it'll continue indefinitely.  The intention seems to be that you do your minimum 7 hours of instruction (i.e. our CBT), answer a few questions, then pass your test and just get on with it.

There's no requirement in the Directives to make the licensing process as burdensome and Kafkaesque as we do.  Ask anyone who's got their license in any of the sunny countries - they're still at "ride round the block and don't drop the bike or the fag out of your mouth" testing, and not a single fuck is given about what the Brusselscrats say.  We, on the other hand, tend to "gold plate" the hell out of everything and hand DSA Derek a whole new set of hoops to make us jump through.

Thins were starting to look up with Mike "the bike" Penning in the DfT, but with him ousted, it appears that the Sir Humphreys are back in charge again.

Reply to this Topic
kharli

Dec 11

kharli says:

my experience

my test school aware of the forthcoming regulations asked me would i mind my last lesson and to do the test on a 69hp bike  ..i said y sure along with one other rider .

I immediatly found i needed much more concentration turning and pulling away as was easy to apply to much power while so inexperienced (wet cold november). (though i did find it great fun) I passed on my second attempt.

My fellow student was not so lucky he entered a roundabout far to fast and while he didnt crash he was too shaken up to continue his test.

My point is for some riders young or old a bit of schooling on a more powerful bike could save your life

I have now many miles under my belt and feel i could step up to a sports bike  ,however, i have great fun on my 47hp bike and probly will stay there.

Reply to this Topic
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

Further proof, not that it's needed, that the DSA are incompetant bunch of idiots. They're the biggest threat, along with the unelected Eurocrats, that the motorcycle industry faces.

Reply to this Topic
tancakar

Sep 11

tancakar says:

before !!!!

before they thinking about anything they should just put their dumb heads that every year there is thousands of new bikers join to commuting there is adverds about safety but no one know where we going to park the god dammed bikes in 3 years time!!!!!!!!!!! i have been living in uk 7 years working in london mayfair and chelsea not even one new space open for us.Instead borris bring barkly bikes !and more parking been taken. NO PARKING FOR NEW RIDERS!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
mickra

May 08

mickra says:

The whole testing process

now seems an absolute dog's dinner for those wanting/needing a motorcycle licence and skewed heavily against encouraging anyone to learn to ride a bike. A total imbalance with the car licence process. How many 50 year olds on 125s are going to get wiped out by youngsters in Subaru Imprezas? Ignore this stupid Eurocracy UK and just keep it simpler and sensible. Train and pass on a smaller more useable bike (say up to 250, like in the past) then have time restrictions before allowance to move up to a larger machine (which used to happen before with our limitations on finances to do this anyway). I started on a 50cc motorcycle in '73 and passed my test a year later. I then waited until I could afford a bigger bike (another couple of years) and moved up thus. Sure I've had a few offs every now and then, but that can happen regardless of all this training and licensing. An accident is just that...accidental. None of us want to kill ourselves, do we?

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Couple of points, mickra

It can still be reasonably cheap to get a bike license if you do it right.  CBT (£120), buy a 125 (£0 cost since you'll sell it on), ride around on L plates for a bit, then find a chum with a big bike who'll let you get insured on it and borrow it for a bit of "private road" practice and then doing the tests on it (£121.50 plus insurance cost).

There are loads of 2nd (3rd, 4th...) bikes sitting around unused.  I'd have no qualms about letting a non-spacker use mine for their tests, they're not worth anything anyway.

And that leads on to the second point.  It's not 1973.  There are plenty of 1990s bikes out there that can be bought for less than a newish 125, that will let you lose your license in 2nd or 3rd gear, and which can be insured even by young riders for less than you may imagine.  Think Thundercat rather than CBR600RR.

I'm not necessarily agreeing with the Brusselscrats, but if you give a youngster a full license there's not much stopping them getting a bike that will do double the speed limit and then some.

Reply to this Topic
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

@mickra

completely agree with you mate

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Reasonable Limits

Street motorcycles should be restricted to no more than 500-HP and 310 mph (or 500 kph) top speed.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices