You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Faded Plastics

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

coop-d

Oct 07

coop-d says:

Faded Plastics

I have a 1986 Kawasaki KLR250 and the headlamp cowl, mudguards, side panels and radiator covers have faded from the standard 'racing green' to a bleached greeny white colour especially the radiator covers and front mudguard. The parts are not painted as the colour is embedded throughout the plastic. The steel fuel tank has not faded so the shade mis-matching looks very noticeable. I have found that Kawasaki has discontinued replacement new parts in the colour I need and I have been told that it would be foolish to spray the plastics as the paint will crack all too soon due to general movement (especially the front mudguard). Do you have any suggestions on how I could bring back the colour of the original plastics please?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 November 2012 17:16)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

faded plastics

Try some T-cut. Any motor factors will supply it. Once it's been cut back, it'll need polishing.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Faded plastics

The bodywork on off-road bikes can usually be replaced quite cheaply.  As it often gets broken there are lots of after-market companies offering replacement parts.  Here's one example, there are lots of others.

http://www.apico.co.uk/body-work-and-plastics/plastic-parts/kawasaki-plastics.html

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawasaki KLR250 1986

Hi Coop-d and welcome to the site :smile

As MM says there are many after market dealers that could supply front and maybe rear guards?but the thing i find odd here is that this bike has been produced in more or less the same guise for many many years(1985 to 2005)so finding original plastics shouldn't be a problem.There was very little change with this model over the years,i think only colour rear foot pegs(instead of in the swing arm bkts fitted to hold them)and i suppose good for yourself,early models were 5 bhp up on later models.I think you should make more enquiries with your local Kawasaki dealer,i think you will find new plastics are readily available.As far as T.cutting plastics to recover the colour i have never found this will work on UV bleached plastics as the colour has been bleached out so there's no colour to recover?if i find anymore info i will post it. Good Luck

KCMC:tongue: 

Reply to this Topic
coop-d

Oct 07

coop-d says:

Faded Plastics

Many thanks for all your suggestions. To be fair I have tried T-Cut but the whitish top layer is so deeply bleached that it makes no difference (just as kcmc mentioned). I am sure I can get the parts from Kawasaki but just not in the lime (racing) green colour to match. All model colours after mine are different and the only othe green one was too dark. If you look at http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kawasaki_KLR250_green.jpg you will see the colour I mean. The website mentioned by MM goes straight to parts with the correct colour. To be honest I was hoping someone had experienced the same problem as me but found a way to restore the original parts.

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

faded plastics

Have a look here then  :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=restore+faded+plastics&oq=faded+plastics&gs_l=youtube.1.1.0i5l2.4021.16533.0.24496.14.12.0.2.2.0.211.1150.8j3j1.12.0...0.0...1ac.1.PrMQvEFUFsM

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Wow

That box cutter / alcohol / heatgun method looks amazing, especially for severely and deeply leached cases, but it looks risky and tricky to do well?

For mild fades a simple wipe with Amorall Protectorant can wet into the porous surface of the plastic, restoring colour and sealing the pores to preventing further fade.  It can makes greys black again for a few months at a time.  ACF-50 wiped over porous bleached plastics or clouded/opaque lacquers can have a similar effect.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Good Find

Fogie,much better than the T-cut thing:smile

Coop-d check this out

http://klr250.blogspot.com.au/

Reply to this Topic
coop-d

Oct 07

coop-d says:

Faded Plastics

Thanks folks. The ideas are much appreciated. I already knew about the klr250blogspot link but although its a good site, I checked high and low there but couldn't find any leads for my problem. I have to agree with bbstrikesagain, the box cutter / alcohol / heatgun method looks amazing but it also looks pretty risky as the parts appear rigid to me only because of their own weight/thickness and I am asking myself if I should try to avoid shaving and thinning them down. I'm not dismissing the idea... it just may need to be the last option for me. The Amorall Protectorant and / or ACF-50 methods look promising. Need to get some and try. Thanks again all.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle