Skip to content

Ask an Expert Using Heated Gloves independently from bike? Clothing

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > Using Heated Gloves independently from bike?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ToteStreetStudios

Nov 12

Using Heated Gloves independently from bike?

This is a little awkward, but I figured, who better to ask than the experts?

I'm not a biker.  I'm an artist.  I paint outside a lot, and one of the main difficulties is how cold my hands get (manageable in summer and fall but devastating in winter).  

I started looking online for heated gloves, mainly looking for battery heated gloves.  Somehow along the line, I got mixed up and assumed that FirstGear Heated Glove Liners were battery powered and ordered them (pretty much depleting my petty cash for the month), and as soon as they arrived, I realized my mistake(s):

1) You have to plug them into the heated jacket (problem solved by FirstGear's "DC Coax Plug Y-Harness".)

2) The whole rig has to be plugged in to a motorcycle.  Whoops.

After further research, I found that one of the pages selling the glove liners vaguely suggested this:  "If preferred, you can purchase a portable battery pack with optional a/c adapter (case optional as well)."  What a gem.

Now I've been all over the internet trying to figure out what kind of battery pack this page is suggesting.  But entering all variations on "battery pack with ac adapter" into various search engines has turned up products such as camera chargers, battery packs for sony game systems, telephone headsets and the like.  

Like I said, I'm an artist- I'm no biker, electronics enthusiast, or really anything remotely masculine, but the day I'm too wimpy for heated gloves is the day the world caves in.  In the simplest of terms: Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can plug these damn things into to make them work, or should I just cave and try to return them (or resell them on ebay)?

(Please help- my body of work rests entirely on painting local popular landmarks, on-site, I have a bulk of work expected in completion by January 31st, and if I can't find some way to unfreeze my hands enough to actually move my brush through the wintery months, I'm done for.)

Thanks, -Tom

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 November 2012 19:38)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

portable battery

Whatever, you need a 12v D.C . supply with a portable battery fitted with an output socket via cigarette plug,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?item=370687314293&pt=UK_Car_Exterior_Accessories&_sacat=0&_from=R40&hash=item564eaf8975&_ssn=gadgets-land&_nkw=portable+battery&rt=nc

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Sorry

I've not seen anything quite like what you're after, most non motorcycle heated clothing seems to be 7.4V which, but it would be quite easy to knock something up...

One option might be based on a 4 cell LiPo pack such as LiPo 4S 2200mAh or 4S 4000mAH which would power your gloves at full power for about 1.4 or 2.5 hours, or longer on reduced power settings.

It would need a custom adaptor, and perhaps something like the Y-lead and a Single Heat-Troller, to vary the power - or you could use a spare heat controller intended for motorcycle heated grips.

Back at base you'd need a smart charger to safely charge the LiPo battery pack(s) - something like Turnigy Accucell-6 with a mains adaptor.

Heavier, but slightly safer, option would be to use a 12 cell NiMH pack (e.g. NiMH 12S 3600mAh).  These are less common but radio control experts will make up any pack size using tagged cells, a soldering iron and shrink wrap.  I guess you need such a guy locally, unless someone knows of off-the-shelf solutions?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

I`ll

pass this one to bbstrikesagain,my heat controller would be the on/off switch.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Jaffa, nice spot

The discharge capacity of a disposable Duracell D-cell is huge, about 18000mAh, but at just 1.5V that's only about 27Wh.  The LiPo batteries I mentioned above are 32 or 59 Wh respectively.  The big LiPo in a pocket would power two gloves for longer, and they recharge for free, but costly and needs techy help to make the connections...

We bikers use up to 50W in heated grips, or 25W in heated gloves, but we have a lot of wind chill and nearly idle hands.

Those Lloyds gloves are probably much lower power so they should run for ages on top-notch batteries.  They're cheap as chips too, so surely well worth a try for semi-active artists' hands?

For the crazy custom solution there must be lots of bikers like me who have spare Oxford heated grip controlllers, as it's often as cheap to buy a full set as to just replace the two worn out grips.  They'd work just fine off the batteries I mentioned, providing several output levels, and auto cut-off to prevent serious over-discharge.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Yeah

An on-off switch does make a sort of power controller.  In my teens I used to fly a home brew electric round-the-pole plane, but I couldn't afford a Scalextric trigger so I just waggled a mains switch like a crazy thing.  Whatever works...

Reply to this Topic
albundy123

Dec 12

albundy123 says:

Hand warmers?

I don't know how long you will spend out painting, you can get hand warmers from fleabay. They are available as single use disposable, or reusable by heating in hot water. Also Nasa gloves  might be of interest, they are very thin, so will not affect movement. They can be found on the easylife lifestyle solutions website, or google nasa gloves :smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices