You are in... Forums > General > General > 125cc for uni

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

MrGiggle

Nov 12

MrGiggle says:

125cc for uni

Hello, I need some help on deciding what bike to get for Uni. Due to the new laws its going to have to be a 125cc bike, but that doesnt really bother me. My Gixxer can wait :winkie:. I currently own a Honda CBF 125 but I would like something a bit faster for Uni as i will be doing more dual carriageway riding and my CBF just about cruises at 60 mp , at a push. Im preparing for my A1 next year and hopefully will pass. Any ideas on what 125cc bike would be good to cruise at around 70 mph. Also im 6ft 2 inches so i need to fit on it.

Thank you

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 November 2012 21:47)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

yzf125

look at the yamaha yzf125. Will sit at 70mph but takes an age to get there and don't expect much more. It would make more sense to go straight for the test on your 125 (I know its not the best time of year!) then get a restricted bigger bike that would be far safer on motorway commutes. Changing 125's for small gains would not be overly economical. Plus you don't get caught up in all this euro crap.  

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

125's

As 125's are made to comply with the license restrictions you will see little difference between them in terms of performance.  Stick with what you have until you have taken your test and can graduate to something bigger.  

Reply to this Topic
MrGiggle

Nov 12

MrGiggle says:

Test

I wanted to take my test for a bigger bike 33bhp restricted but all the test centres are fully booked all the way up till the new laws come into place. I would of been able to take my dads bandit but due to these new laws Im now unable to, this is the only reason im looking into another 125cc.

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Giggle

bad times if you can't get a test date; but to answer your Q, you won't find a 125 with a noticable performace difference unless you find a 2 stroke like Aprilia's RS125 of old. These won't be exactly reliable by now though...and may well fall foul of the same licencing laws.

When you can...look into Ninja 250/300 or Duke 300 type bikes as the next rung (you'll never insure a bandit or gixxer sensibly for a few more years anyhow).

Reply to this Topic
MrGiggle

Nov 12

MrGiggle says:

Age to Engine

Im 17 atm and will be 18 when I go to Uni, this means im stuck to a 125cc :/ Would it be better to just have my cbf for a year of uni then do an A2 when im 19? Because I really cant stand cars and the thought of owning and running one just makes my bank account cry. 

Reply to this Topic
roadglue

Nov 12

roadglue says:

YZF-R125

I thought CBF was supposed to be one of the faster 125s?

I don't think there will be much between the 4 strokes.I have a ybr125 and that does about 70 on flat but when its windy can be down to just above 60.

I've rode a yamaha YZF-R125 and that seemed quicker than mine,although i didn't thrash it.On my way to work i do about 65-70 down this hill and this kid on one sometimes comes past me quite a bit faster.

When i've been to work in the car i've seen him doing at least 70 on the flat.So his speedo is probably saying faster.

I used to get jealous when he went past me lol but now i've passed my test , so i'll have my revenge.Unless he gets an R1 :lol:

I'd say get an YZF-R125 but it probably wont be massively better than what you have.

Reply to this Topic
MrGiggle

Nov 12

MrGiggle says:

YBR

YZF seems fast atm then, I've sat on a Yzf and I found it an odd position but i guess you get used to it. CBFs about the same as your YBR. Its not that fast 10 bhp, happily cruise at 50 mph and i have got it up to 70 mph down a hill with no headwind. And my mates got a CBR 125 but he didnt pay for any of it and he dropped it on his first day so now has a massive dent in the tank. I like the fact i bought my bike because then im the true owner :tongue:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices