Ask an Expert New Motorcycle Licence Laws Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > New Motorcycle Licence Laws

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

CalumBoustead

Oct 12

New Motorcycle Licence Laws

On January the 13th new licence laws are being applied. I'm 16 and am going to do my full licence next year. At the moment I have a moped on a provisional licence. Will the new rules apply to me or will i stay under the old rules? :wacko:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 November 2012 15:54)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Hi Cal

sorry dude but you'll have to comply with the new regulations i'm afraid.:upset:

Unless you're 17 before 13th of Jan and pass your test, in which case your bike entitlements would as if you passed your test today, and would not be changed by the new rules.

Ride safe.

unit.

Reply to this Topic
CalumBoustead

Oct 12

Thanks

Okay thanks mate. At least i won't get my hopes up. Just means I have to wait until I'm 21 until i can have any bike i want. Cheers for taking the time :smile

Reply to this Topic
BLUEKNOWZ

Nov 12

BLUEKNOWZ says:

new laws

as far as i can make sense of the new laws. it would be a waste of money to take your test at all until you are at least 19 because you will be restricted to a 125 for 2 years so you may as well stay on the 'L' plate cos you'd have to take another test to move up to the next 47bhp level when you are 19. the point is at 17 you would be taking a test to ride the bike you are already riding:mad:

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

taking a test to ride the bike you are already riding

with cheaper insurance, with a pillion, on a motorway - passing does have it's advantages

Reply to this Topic
joshsilverman

Sep 12

Bubble Burst

Sorry to burst your bubble on this but even when your 21, with the new laws you will not be able to ride ''any bike you want''.
At 19+ you must take the test on a 400cc and you can ride a bike up to 46.6 Bhp. You can restrict any motorcycle to this power so long as the original manufacturer's declared output was less than 92 Bhp. Large bikes such as Honda CBR1000, Suzuki GSX1000, Triumph Sprint etc. are not allowed. Now wait a minimum of 2 years to qualify for the next test, or reach the right age bracket (24). Then when you reach 24 you will have to take a test on a 600cc to get full license.

Reply to this Topic
CalumBoustead

Oct 12

Tests

If i take my A1 test when I'm 17 and A2 test when I'm 19. I can take my A test when I'm 21. The think the made me wonder if i could still abide by the current rules is my provisional licence say i can ride category 'A' when I'm 17. Category 'A1' and 'A2' where left blank. :blink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices