Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mm0xdg

Nov 12

mm0xdg says:

Self Training for Tests

Hi Everyone,

Just a wee bit of encouragement for those folks who have decided to go for their test under their own tutelege; it IS possible! I've always wanted to ride motorbikes, but I've waited until my mid forties before getting around to doing something about it!

I took my CBT about six weeks ago and then decided, rather than spend hundreds of pounds on courses, to spend a few hundred quid on a half decent 125cc bike (I got a wee Suzuki GZ125) and teach myself the rest. There are some really good training videos out there on YouTube, so I spent quite a lot of time watching those and really letting the techniques bed in. For Mod 1, I went and found a very quiet car park on an industrial estate, set out some yoghurt pots (at distances SMALLER than those which are required) and did those tests literally hundreds of times over a couple of weeks so that I could probably do them in my sleep. For Mod 2, it was again a case of watching plenty of training videos and getting in lots of practice. This morning, I passed my Mod 2 with two minors for observations.

I passed all four parts of the test (Theory, CBT, Mod1, Mod 2) at the first attempt in six weeks total time. So, if you're reasonably well motivated and if you're prepared to be self-critical, you CAN do these tests without doing the courses. Just be really rigorous with yourself and acknowledge when things need sorting out. You do need to think a bit further than just riding around for a bit......

There is no doubt at all in my mind that doing this has also made me a much better car driver. Really, MUCH better! This has been a great way to sharpen up my driving skills twenty six years after I passed my driving test!

Now - which bike to buy.....?

Good luck to everyone who's doing the training.

David

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (21 November 2012 12:22)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Congratulations

and welcome :biggrin:

The one point to remember every time you go out: passing the test is one thing, staying alive on the road afterwards is something else...

Shiny side up.

Reply to this Topic
gungerdin8

Feb 11

gungerdin8 says:

GGOD ON YA DAVE

:ph43r:UMM I WS LIKE U I TOOK MY BIKE TEST THINKING I DINT NEED ANY HELP BEEEN RIDIN 1 CINCE 1 WAS4

ANYHOO TOOK ME TEST BUT I DINT DO ANY HEAD MOOVEMENTS ALAS I FAILD

SO I BIT THE BULLET N DID AN ALL INTENSIVE AT BRISTOL 4 75 QUID ? IT WAS A LONG TIME AGO DID THE TRAINING IN THE MORN PISED IT IN THE ARVO /

went from a dt 125 to a ypvs 350 powervalve in 1 day wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:ph43r:

good on ya bro u can do it son

regards the gunnga

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Congratulations..

David and well done...:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
ajmcguk

Feb 12

ajmcguk says:

Me too

I took my CBT in April and then bought a CBR125. I then did my theory in May, Mod 1 in October and then Mod 2 a couple of weeks ago. Again, I had absolutely no training (the 7 months on road experience was enough!).

All were passed first time apart from the Mod 1 where I made a silly mistake (locked the back wheel on E Stop) but passed fine the following week. The Mod 2 I also only got 2 minors on.

So, yes, I agree that it's possible to pass without formal training!... 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle