Skip to content

Discuss This Andrea Dovizioso reserves judgement on Ducati potential MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Andrea Dovizioso reserves judgement on Ducati potential

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Andrea Dovizioso reserves judgement on Ducati potential

Andrea Dovizioso says it is too early to understand the potential of Ducati’s Desmosedici MotoGP machine after he made his debut for the Bologna factory in Valencia last week. Cold and wet conditions meant Dovizioso completed less than 40 laps on a dry track, as he became the latest high profile rider to stake his reputation on making the struggling Desmosedici...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 November 2012 10:02)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MrKrabs

Sep 12

MrKrabs says:

Dovi

has definately been the closest to the Aliens, thing is that he hasn't actually been that close, he's been the best of the rest which is extremely good. He's been the 5th best rider out there which makes him World class and far from a grid filler, he has earned his move to Ducati and he will do a good solid job for them.

All this doesn't change the fact that he just does not have their pace, he's quality but unless Ducati give him a bike significantly better than the Aliens he will never challenge for the title, If you look over the last 4 years the Aliens have either been winning or challenging for championships, Dovi simply has not.

Don't get the hype over Bradl though, he's done pretty good and has promise, I wouldnt go any further than that.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

Benny

Crutchlow showed the raw pace required to be in the mix IMO last year.

The question still to be answered was has he learnt anything from the DNFs.? Dovi learnt that lession in 2009 and has been soild since, The Edwards beating him thing was down to the 4 dnfs suffered the year.

Dovi was far superior to Cal over the course of this season no doubt.

Crutchlow has to step up to the plate next year and produce, to become the real deal. Only time will tell.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

ccb

You're running off track mentioning other riders. I haven't compared Dovi to anyone, just said he doesn't have the pace of the lead group. I never mentioned Bradl.

In response to my original comment on Dovi, you said:

Your way off beam with your comment on Dovi's time on the Honda, He has been the only rider during the last four years to consistently beat the Aliens (all of them) and score podiums.

He has't consistently beaten them, he only had 16 podiums up until this season whereas they were on the podium virtually every race. He's just not on their pace and I don't see how you can argue that he is.

He is the best of the riders behind that lead group, I'm not arguing with that. Four years on a Honda was ample time to find the extra speed he needed but he couldn't. If in 4 years on a Honda he could only get 16 podiums, his best chance of achieving anything better are behind him. Finishing 4th 49 times means he is a world class rider and ridiculously quick, but not quick enough.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Come on guys, if you're going to do comparisons, do them consistently.

In one argument, we have 2009, Edwards finishes in front of Dovi in the points table, but having more points doesn't mean he's the better rider, Dovi is faster and better, he was beaten because of the DNFs

In another argument we have 2012, Dovi finishes in front of Crutchlow in the points table which proves he is the better rider...

Can't have it both ways.

Fact is, finishing ahead of someone on points means nothing in terms of which one is better or faster, just means one ended up with more points, something which many factors play a part in.

Dovi's bloody good, but not good enough to podium or win on a regular basis 'under normal circumstances'.

Reply to this Topic
CH987

May 09

CH987 says:

Rev

Same old, same old, boring, boring.. Yawn...

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

bulto

It does work both ways mate, Dovi was way quicker than Edwards in 09 but crashed too many time then learnt his lesson.

In a close fight at times this Crutchlow IMO was marginally quicker the Dovi but crashed out trying too hard.

Dovi as Benny puts it , cool and classy and always brings it home.

Raw pace to show potential is one thing, keeping your wits about you and learning from your mistakes is another. Spies is a massive example of the that, the man who truly deserves to be branded a failure on a factory bike. Dovi at Honda was a fraction short thats all.

Not all the things im posting are aimed at things youve stated Bulto its general coments on the things i read in here.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

It does work both ways mate, Dovi was way quicker than Edwards in 09 but crashed too many time then learnt his lesson.

But does he ride too 'safe' now? Could he push harder or is he at maximum? With Pedrosa as a team mate at Honda, the speed that the bike was capable of was apparent with Pedrosa's results, certainly with Stoner's in 2011. But he was rarely close. So you have to assume he's found his limit. Bringing it home a safe 4th at best isn't going to win races although I suppose it could bag a title if cicumstances went his way

In 2009 I think Dovi and Stoner missed the same number of races, but the end result had Stoner something like 2 or 3 wins worth of points ahead. That tells its own story and is the reason Dovi' hasn't been a regular on the podium.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

Benny

Its the first time Dovi is the chosen one , and may well bring the best out in him, a no pressure ride this year, the last three have had the the weight of needing to prove himself to retain his seat.

Bulto the riding too safe is a good point. with the weight off his shoulders (see above) and a low expectation of his results for the coming season, he may well push harder..

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

Benny your not ...

A fan of Dovi's are you ?, you should of mentioned it

Reply to this Topic
Zoggthefantastic

Sep 11

Dovi

Was admitedly not the fastest of the aliens. But niether was pedrosa, although consitently closer to the front, it's fair to say that DP has made improvements in many areas of his riding- he relies less on fast starts and is being far more tactical across the race, his braking has improved and his campaign against lorenzo at the back end if he season has shown previously unseen kevels of grit and composure. I'm sure, as he has stated, fitness has played its part, but it's not the whole story, and If pedrosa can do it, why not Dovi? Just because he has a little further to go it doesn't mean it can't happen.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle