Skip to content

Discuss This Andrea Dovizioso reserves judgement on Ducati potential MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Andrea Dovizioso reserves judgement on Ducati potential

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Andrea Dovizioso reserves judgement on Ducati potential

Andrea Dovizioso says it is too early to understand the potential of Ducati’s Desmosedici MotoGP machine after he made his debut for the Bologna factory in Valencia last week. Cold and wet conditions meant Dovizioso completed less than 40 laps on a dry track, as he became the latest high profile rider to stake his reputation on making the struggling Desmosedici...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 November 2012 10:02)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

CCB

I can't agree with your opinion of Dovi

You say he has been the "only rider during the last four years to consistently beat the Aliens (all of them) and score podiums", but his results don't really back that up, surely? He's rarely beaten Stoner, Pedrosa Lorenzo or Rossi (Rossi pre-2011) Those four have had virtually as many podiums in one season as Dovi did in his entire time on a Honda

He also finished 5th, 6th (beaten by Edwards on Tech3) 5th and 3rd in that time - no way can you say that is a fraction off winning the title - he was way off. In that time he won just one race and you can probably count on one hand the number of times he challenged for a win. You say he may still have a chance given the right circumstances but if three years on a Repsol isn't that, what is?

You can't compare him with Pedrosa who has won as many races as Dovi's been on the podium. Pedrosa has finished 2nd and 3rd in the points table apart from his rookie year and 2011 when injury put him out of 4 races - and even then he was less than one win behnd Dovi who inherited 3rd.. Pedrosa has missed races through injury and still finished top 3, I don't think Dovi has missed any.

He's a fast and talented rider, no argument there, but hasn't got whatever is missing to beat the likes of Lorenzo or Pedrosa and probably Rossi again now that he is back on the M1, consistently enough to win a title.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Zogg

Dovi has it within him, he was always able to run at the front, but could not unlock the all important 'je ne sais quoi',

Rarely at the front, and not close enough to the front consistently enough, as his podium tally suggests. When the other 4 were all finishing the race, he was rarely in front of them. It's more likely not about unlocking anything, he just hasn't got that last bit of speed required to consistently challenge them.

Pedrosa this season has been injury free and probably full of confidence because of that, once the first few races were done. Maybe he hasn't found a new level, could he have done this every year, had he not been knocked back by injury?

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

Bulto

I'm more inclined to agree with Zogs view, Dovi has beaten all the aliens fair and square in the last four years, he's just not done it consistently enough to be a true title challenger.

If Honda had shown him abit more love and given him time like they did with Pedrosa, who know where he could be now. His first year on the factory bike he was consistently in the top four but crashed out too many times, which hurt his overall ranking at the end of the year, to say Edwards  was faster than him is just nonsense. ( much like crutchlow this year , blindingly fast but crashed out too often whilst trying to get on the podium)

Honda treat him like crap after that, once they know Stoner wanted to come they didnt care about him. Yet his results were still good, and they had to honour the terms of his contract and give him a third year.

Cant imagine this did alot for his confidence and belief in himself, know no matter how well he did ,he was going to get bombed out.

6 podiums this year on a satelite bike, a bike that was new to him after a decade with hondas, shows real talent to me. Give the Guy  top billing and love him ,and he may just surprise us all.

All that said it will take a mircale with Ducati for it to happen this year.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

Mr krabs

Dovi has finished in the top four 39 times in the last four seasons. that just score of ten races a season he has beaten at least one or more of the aliens. It shows a far better record than the general public are willing to admit to themselves.

Why the hell would anyone give Spies another factory contract over a man with a record like that? Because the public cn be made to believe all the spin and horseshit thats spoken to promote certain riders. Spies was only every the token Yank good for afew bike sales in the USA. and not even close to Dovi's talent.

Crutchlow is in danger of being treated the same way. he's shown the raw pace and talent required to split the top three or four, just needs the backing to stand a chance. as a brit will he get it?? doubtful.

Reply to this Topic
MrKrabs

Sep 12

MrKrabs says:

CCB

I got nothing against Dovi, I like his attitude and the way he rides, I just  don't think he is in that very top bracket. If he had big pace but lacked consistancy I could see some hope but with Dovi its the opposite, I think its harder to gain pace than consistancy.

As we are all being a bit Statto I thought id have a go. Im using the 2010 season as it was the last in which all the Aliens (and Dovi) were on top bikes and Dovi was still a fully supported factory rider.

In 2010 only once did Dovi get close to the win, that was in Sepang where he lost out to an injured Rossi. 6 time that season Dovi failed to beat a single available Alien (Rossi & Pedrosa missed races injured) a further 5 times he only managed to be 1 available alien, not once during the season did he finish in front of all of them and only 2 races did he manage to finish in front of more aliens than he finished behind. factor into this that his record was padded out by managing to beat half fit Rossi and Pedrosa when they were coming back and its not that impressive.

In fact at a couple of races he was beaten fair and square by Hayden and the rookie Ben Spies on a satellite Yam

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

Mr krabs

Fair points

Half the problems with these forums in the childish nature that always surfaces. I dont truly believe Dovi will ever turn out to be one of the greats, but nor do i support the lack of respect for him by the majority on here.

Spies was just an example of one rider championed as being far superior to Dovi on the back of the odd good race. Bradl is another. Nothing against him ,but what makes his record this season so good or stand out? he's ridden a back door factory Honda to 8th in the championship,thats nothing special given the level of machinery he's up against, yet has been given another go. The grape vine is predicting great for him. why??

Dovi's track record in one of the strongest periods in GP racing for a long time is very respectable, and shouldnt to dismissed so easily.

edit.  Infact if you look at the stats youve just quoted me, it backs up what im saying, Dovi has got in amongst the aliens pretty consistently for the last four years ,It wouldnt need much of an improvement to be a serious contender, and at 26 theres still a chance

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

Dovi

Works Honda rider, 1 win, on the Tech3 M1, he made a reasonably showing, he's fast and smooth, he now goes to Ducati, for the money, so  imo he couldn't cut it on the works Honda, the M1 that he left is a better bike than the one he's going to so I can only see him 6th or 7th at best. As that Ducati stands, he won't push that any more than Rossi did, and there's defintely 6 or 7 faster guys out there.   

Reply to this Topic
moto4

Oct 12

moto4 says:

Dovi vs...

CCB: Bradl, a rookie on a bike ridden last year by a world champion to last place usually, got decent results. Dovi, an experienced rider on a bike that won the world championship with a world class factory team managed only marginally better results. Dovi is good but Bradl may yet be great. And Spies isn't all hype- altho 'only' superbikes but had an amazing rookie championship winning year followed by good rookie showing in GPs. Dovi won, once, when front runners all out of contention.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

CCB

Not sure where you're going with your argument?

But first off, I didn't say Edwards was faster than Dovi. You claimed he regularly beat Pedrosa, Rossi, Lorenzo, Stoner. I just pointed out with the number of podiums he had and where he finished in the championship, which on one occassion was behind a satellite bike, those kind of results were impossible. They were regularly on the podium or winning every race, which meant Dovi would have had to have been on the podium every race too, which he wasn't. Neither did he finish consistently 4th in his first year on the Repsol, his finishing positions were all over the place.

I don't really understand why you think Honda mistreated him. He wasn't winning them races or getting on the podium regularly. Pedrosa may not have won them a title, but he was winning races and but for injury and bad luck he may have dot them the title. If you were looking to place a proven winner into your team, which rider would you have let go, Pedrosa or Dovi? They honoured his contract and let him see it out when I daresay they could have paid him off by ending it early.

Dovi is very good, but on equal machinery, he isn't as quick as Pedrosa, Lorenzo, Stoner or Rossi. He had three seasons on a Repsol to show what he could do but he couldn't beat them.

No matter how good Ducati get their bike, I can't see that changing.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

Bulto

I tire of the nonsense spoken in here sometimes

There was/is four riders classed as being aliens in the last 5 years. This is the bracket, the standard , skill level of consistency that any rider has to break into ,to challenge for a title.

Now look back over the last four years and tell me of ANY other rider who has competed during that time who has managed that, year in year out OTHER than Dovi, and i'l hold my name up and say im wrong.

Bradls results arent as good as Dovi's rookie season and Spies were similar. Dovi improved every year during his time at Honda, even though he knew he was getting the boot as soon as honda possible could.

The third year on the factory bike? forced on Honda by the terms of the contract they gave him.

As i pointed out earlier Dovi's record of finishing in the top 4 , 39 times in 4 seasons (which is a fraction short of 10 races every season) screams out to me he is by far the best of the rest. So why do people want to try make out he's a mid packer, a grid filler and now good enough, thats fanboy bullshit.

Dovi is vastly underrated and these forums play down just how good he's done in favor of the odd fluked race result my their overhyped heros once managed (spies anyone??) still waiting for the humble pie most of you alot owe me.

Out of all the riders in Moto GP this year the only other rider to display the raw pace and potential to do better if he can keep it rubber side up is crutchlow.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices