You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > BMW R1200RT torque settings

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

roywilson

May 09

roywilson says:

BMW R1200RT torque settings

Thought I would take the plunge and carry out a service on my 2005 R1200RT which I have owned now for two years. Previously its been serviced by a main dealer which costs mega bucks. Doing it myself so far has been interesting and enjoyable.

Anyway  I have adjusted the rocker arm end play. The information about torque settings in my manual is a little vague. To avoid damage, can anyone please confirm the torque setting for the three bolts which secures the “shaft cap” which holds the rocker arm.

Also I believe the torque setting for  one cylinder head nut to this “shaft cap” is 20Nm, with a 1st stage setting angle-tighten 90deg  then a 2nd stage setting angle-tighten 90deg. Again can anyone please explain how this is done.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 November 2012 10:38)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

Torque

Tighten the M10 nut to 20Nm,then retighten a further 90degrees (1/4 turn),then once again another 90 degrees,that's it.

The other bolts you'll have loosened need tightening up to 18Nm and no further.  I assume you have the end play setting of 0.05-0.4mm.  

Hope that helps

Reply to this Topic
roywilson

May 09

roywilson says:

Torque

Thanks Paul, very helpfull. Have set end play to minimum about 0.05 - 0.08.

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

No problem

Don't forget though,run it on 20W/50 oil.  I only say that incase anyone tells you to run it on a fully synthetic low viscosity oil that's all.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices