Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

apexgrinder

Jul 11

apexgrinder says:

Helmet safety ratings

Hi all

I'm on the lookout for a new helmet and i've been looking at this Shoei:

Can anyone tell me what safety rating i should be looking out for? Is it just ACU gold sticker or is that SHARP rating still used?

Thanks

Rob

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 November 2012 16:45)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

As far as I'm aware

SHARP is the most recent testing standard - though the debate is still open as to how good it is.

The ACU was a bit discredited due to fake stickers being available - but I think most track day organisers still insist on the ACU gold sticker.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Aye

"ACU gold sticker" and a good snug fit.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

It's

ECE 22-05.

ACU gold stickers are simply for track use.

SHARP is the most recent, and probably the most comprehensive, but the old advice stands: buy one that fits, rather than one that has a high Sharp rating.

A 3* Sharp rating on a lid that fits is better than a 5* rating on one that doesn't.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

the sharp rating is the newest one as the ACU rating is out of date and i never use it any more. 

make sure it a snug fit and i aways go for the D link strap.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

the Qwest...

gets a 5 star rating.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Helmet ratings

CE Mark = compulsory for use on the road.

Sharp Rating = a very good system

ACU Gold Sticker = not worth the paper it is printed on

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

i just like to say that my old £250 Arai condor had a gold sticker on it  but got 2start rating on the sharp list. so  when i slid of at 20ish in jeans and a leather jacket my jeans were fine but the helmet went down to the wire. so at a higher speed crash i could of been f>cked i have never gone near an Arai since and use a shoei now.

Reply to this Topic
apexgrinder

Jul 11

apexgrinder says:

Thanks

for all the replies, very useful. Obviously it sounds like a good fit is going to be more important than the rating, i guess the materials used to construct it are important too.

I think i will want to do the odd trackday so i'll need the ACU gold sticker too. 

I guess with most things, roughly speaking the more you spend the better quality you get.

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

You couldn't be more wrong

Some of the cheapest helmets have a high sharp rating, and many of the most expensive don't!

Reply to this Topic
Valko

May 12

Valko says:

not exactly

"roughly speaking the more you spend the better quality you get."

Absolutely not - this is shown clearly in SHARP rating, very cheap helmets with good rating and very expensive ones with bad rating - which just reflects the fact that you pay a lot of money for the brand.

Honestly I have been there, trying some expensive helmets just to find out they do not fit well for my head at all. Know I use cheap MT spanish helmet that fits me like a glove has 4 stars rating and cost 60 pounds.

Bear in mind different people have different shaped heads and the fit is the most important bit in buying helmet. So go try before buy.

Obviously the epxensive ones have some additional comfort features, but for the main safety purpose some expensive helmets have actually not good protection.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices