Skip to content

Discuss This Big bikes escape EU anti-tampering measures General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Big bikes escape EU anti-tampering measures

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Big bikes escape EU anti-tampering measures

Motorcycles producing over 47bhp have escaped EU plans to make bikes impossible for owners to modify.  European Parliament has voted in favour of limiting so-called anti-tampering measures to smaller machines.  All new bikes over 125cc will get ABS under the regulation approved by MEPs. Smaller machines can have combined brakes instead.  The anti-tampering measures aim to prevent modifications of bikes...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 November 2012 17:02)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

Deal Mr Hodder, Deal?

More like sold down the river......!!!!!!

Time to leave the European Union folks.

I'm all for a common market, but political union is a total disaster.

Making deals is not the way forward, all it will do is repress and make people utterly miserable.

Welcome to the islands of depair..

Reply to this Topic
jahtlR

Jun 12

jahtlR says:

Nothing better to do !?

So less people will be buying new bikes under 47 bhp then, thats great news for maufactuers

Reply to this Topic
petedj

Jan 11

petedj says:

Why?

What is the point? I don't see a bunch of small capacity bikes with superchargers and nitrus. A silencer change and Power Commander is about as far as it goes. Insurance companies effectively limit modification anyway. If you want to do something for the environment get rid of all the black smoking Mondeos.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

A Sensible Solution

An anti-tampering law for bikes below 47bhp satisfies the road safety lobby and the legislators regarding young and new riders. If it was across the board "no-tampering" it would have killed motor sport and the huge industry which supports it. Not to mention the thousands who rely on this for employment, who would be out of work. It's a sensible solution.

Reply to this Topic
tancakar

Sep 11

tancakar says:

all them lot in EU fuckkk off . thats all i will say !

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Combined Brakes?

Is that supposed to be a good idea?

Compulsory ABS? You're having a laugh!

On-board diagnostics?

Is this not just a list of things everyone will bypass?

Bikes are not cars , EU gov. It just feels like all this was setup to make us buy bikes with all these mods. It is better that big bikes don't need it but atr the same time , now if we go to grab on the brakes with a big bike we will just slide down the road. We wont have had the chance to nake mistakes on smaller , more forgiving bikes.

What about icy weater , muddy roads or horrible potholed roads where ABS and combined breaks would be stupid to have?

These rules are obviously thought up by a car driver...

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

@ jimbo8098

I have never had any issues with the combined brakes on either my Honda Elite (Lead) 110 or NT700V Dullsville, both of which have been ridden extensively on gravel roads and in the rain.  On the other hand, they were not a selling point, and would not have been chosen by me if an extra cost option.

ABS on bikes should have three options: default on at every start-up, front wheel only, and off, with the latter two being for off-road or loose surface riding where one wants to be able to skid the rear wheel intentionally.

Reply to this Topic
siltec

Aug 02

siltec says:

Rule Bending

I am old enough to remember the 250 and moped fiascos. Learners are restricted to 250s, fine, seems sensible, most deveope about 20 bhp. A few years later and 40 hp plus powervalved pseudo racers start killing a few so rules are changed. Now who was responsible for these irresponsible bikes - the bike manufacturers! Same with mopeds - pedals and highly tune motors, few more dead so in come the restrictions. Will they ever learn - doubt it. Bit like tax avoidance.

Reply to this Topic
siltec

Aug 02

siltec says:

Rule Bending

I am old enough to remember the 250 and moped fiascos. Learners are restricted to 250s, fine, seems sensible, most deveope about 20 bhp. A few years later and 40 hp plus powervalved pseudo racers start killing a few so rules are changed. Now who was responsible for these irresponsible bikes - the bike manufacturers! Same with mopeds - pedals and highly tune motors, few more dead so in come the restrictions. Will they ever learn - doubt it. Bit like tax avoidance.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

siltec...?

I remember 250's they had @ 27 bhp then came the LC 250 with @ 35bhp that was in 1981. the "peds had already been restricted to@ 3bhp. These 40bhp machines that  "killed a few" were they faulty illegal imports?  I can't remember your recollection of actual events , only a change in the law. one of many over the years in the UK. 

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices