Skip to content

Ask an Expert advice on getting a new bike Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > advice on getting a new bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

samiul09

Nov 12

samiul09 says:

advice on getting a new bike

hi there guys basically im planning to buy a suzuki GSXR-600 SRAD on a X reg (year 2000) it has 15500 miles on the clock 5months mot and tax in decent condition with few minor marks just need the rims respraying was wondering is it worth it for £1000 as i think it is also what do i look out for when i go to buy it?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 November 2012 19:24)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

fresh bike

I would find out ins costs,

I would take a friend/witness,

I would ask why it`s being sold,

I would ask if there`s any major faults,

I would make sure the seller owns the bike,

Ask for a pillion ride because the bike will be under more stress,

Visually check for fluid leaks and clean engine oil,

Ask when the valve clearances were checked,

Any sports bike will be worth a grand if in good condition regardless of year.:biggrin:    

Reply to this Topic
samiul09

Nov 12

samiul09 says:

thanks mate will let you know how i get on going to buy/look at it today (23/11/2012) :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Used bike

Alright samiul09... get a good initial impression off it, try to be objective.   Does it have the air of a bike you'd like to own for a while?  See how she starts up.  Readily?  Sounds nice?  No nasty rattles?

Go for a spin, probably on the back (I wouldn't like someone to "test ride" my bike and who knows what might happen)... does it accelerate smoothly,  seem to handle nicely?

Check the finish on the finer points - forks pitted, signs of rust, look at the major joins of the frame - any rusty points? 

Check the foot-pegs and grips - do they seem more worn than 15.5K miles' worth?

With low mileage like that, it might well come with some service history, but at the end of the day - does it seem work a grand to you?   If it does, then the bike is indeed worth it.  Doesn't matter if you could have got something different somewhere else.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices