Skip to content

Discuss This Bike journo caught at 160mph was ‘euphoric’ after proposing to girlfriend General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Bike journo caught at 160mph was ‘euphoric’ after proposing to girlfriend

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Bike journo caught at 160mph was ‘euphoric’ after proposing to girlfriend

A motorcycle journalist caught speeding at 160mph has been banned for three months after telling a court his girlfriend had just agreed to marry him.  Andrew Stevens, 30, who writes for a website, was filmed pulling wheelies at up to 80mph on his Yamaha R1 test bike. He was followed by an unmarked police bike along Seven Mile Lane, near...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 November 2012 10:17)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

Mr Stephens

"A wee bit excited were we, sir. Did you get something caught under the tank sir? Is that was why the front wheel was lifting, sir?"

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Is lack of self-control mitigation?

It would be better to apologise for the offence, explain that this is not typical of the way you drive and take the medicine. To say you rode your bike when you'd lost your self-control because you were in a state of euphoria is admitting irresponsibility as well as foolishness and lack of judgement. It's also behaviour likely to endanger yourself and other road users. I think Mr. Stevens was lucky to get off so lightly.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

3 Months for 160mph!!!!!!?

People doing these sort of speeds usually get jail. Why didn't the police put their siren on and pull him over when he slowed from 128mph? I'm amazed he got such a lenient sentence for these speeds.This is the place to go to do lunatic speeds if this is all you get!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Just a thought....

What is the Safe breaking distance at 160mph when following a vehicle?

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

SatNavSteve is correct.

I was always told by my step-father, a copper, that the job of the police was to prevent crime. That being so; the police rider on the unmarked bike should have pulled Mr Stevens over at the earliest opportunity. Closely following him at speed on an unmarked bike is provocative and very unethical.

Reply to this Topic
Rowdygimly

Jan 09

Rowdygimly says:

£15 victim surcharge?

So who was the victim?

Reply to this Topic
bob9t9

Dec 05

bob9t9 says:

I agree with satnavsteve. Why do the police always continue pursuits? Was 128 in a 50 not bad enough so they decided to carry on and see what happened? My though is that the copper was soooo bored riding round at the speed limit all shift that he thought "fuck this i'll let him run for a bit".

Reply to this Topic
SpeedLimitRacer

Feb 11

Biker journo?

Would be interesting to know who he works for...

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Was his "visor down" though?

Traffic slapheads get into it because they like having a chase and then giving the "that speed was totally unsafe, except for me because I'm so awesome" lecture, let's not pretend otherwise.

Good on Mr Stevens for blubbing and pulling the old "Oh, woe is me, I'll never ride anything so powerful again" line.  3 month ban over the winter, road safety loons raging, I'd call that a win.

Purely incidentally, it's only an offence to fail to stop for a copper if he's in uniform.  These trollcops can try to get you to stop, but you're under no obligation to do so until they pull some uniforms in.  Make them work for their lecture.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Safe,,,

The officer obviously thought it was safe for both of them to be doing those speeds (up to128mph anyway) or he would have pulled him over earlier. Proof that the officer believed that the speed limit, in those conditions, on what was a clear piece of road, had nothing to do with safety for either of them.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices