Skip to content

Discuss This Restricted KTM 390 Duke for A2 licence holders? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Restricted KTM 390 Duke for A2 licence holders?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Restricted KTM 390 Duke for A2 licence holders?

KTM could make a 40bhp version of the new 390 Duke for holders of the new A2 motorcycle licence, a source at the firm has said. The standard 44bhp version is under the 47bhp A2 limit, but falls foul of power-to-weight ratio rules. The new licensing rules - which come into effect from January 19 - will see under-21s restricted to 47bhp...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 November 2012 10:58)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

Always a catch.......

I've said it B4 and i'll say it again,but why has KTM brought to the table a unique design only at the last moment to give it a look of a bike with a hernia about to happen?:shock:

The engine looks for all the world as though its about to drop!! It should look solid in the frame,to look like its part of the bike.It must be an optical illusion as also the frame has more structure added,it just doesnt look accomplished in my eyes. It all hangs too loose,sorry KTM unique design but i for one need a bike to fit together not look as if its about to fall to bits.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Or...

They could sell the standard with a bit of paper saying "Is 4bhp down / 15kg up, honest", which for all practical purposes would have the same effect.

Or people could just buy 'em and print off those bits of paper themselves...

Reply to this Topic
5LeafClover

Jan 11

5LeafClover says:

Big spanners

The weight req is totally dumb. Theres only so light you can build a bike and the weight of a rider could fluctuate from 50 to 100kg or more. Lighter bikes are easier to control and safer. I guess companies who can build small sensible weight bikes, like ktm, could always resort to adding heavy duty tool kits, over sized fuel tanks, batteries or light weight manufacturer accessories etc

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Depends how you define weight

The UK currently have it as wet weight with standard tools but no luggage (how does that work with Dullsvilles?) for the current 25kW and 0.16kW/kg restricted license.

But if every country in Europe interprets it differently - and I'd wager they will - then you'd be as well designing for the derpest common denominator.  Thus the 35kW 175kg dry weight CB500.  Bleurgh.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Wet Weight?

I think the pannier lids on the Honda Dullsville would count as wet weight since they cannot be removed without tools, and the panniers themselves are not individual items but an integral part of the body work.

More to the point would be if the standard removable hard bags that come on several sport-touring and touring motorcycles count as wet weight.

Reply to this Topic
ColonelClaw

Nov 12

ColonelClaw says:

More than enough power

If I'd had one of those at 19 even with 'just' 40hp I'm pretty sure I'd have killed myself on it before long. I would have died happy, at least. That's a shitload of power for such a light bike. And I doubt too many owners will be sticking to the 40hp restrictor for too long, those things are generally pretty simple to remove (my dealer/service people removed the one on my first bike at their suggestion)

Reply to this Topic
harataiki

Jul 12

harataiki says:

" which come into effect from January 19 - will see under-21s restricted to 47bhp for two years."

Wait I thought it was under-24s with anything less than a full unrestricted license? For example, I have only a CBT (hoping to do my DAS this coming month, or atleast before January 18) and if I do not do Module 1 & 2 DAS test before the new laws come in, I will be restricted to the 47BHP for 2 years. What is annoying is I had plans to get a Fazer 600 one of the older 98-04 I think it was ones. But if I don't get full unrestricted license before the date, I can't even restrict it because its a few bhp over the restriction limit. (I believe the restriction limit will be 94/95bhp).

Reply to this Topic
OjoInoz

Mar 13

OjoInoz says:

Here in Greece, the new license rules say that for the power to weight ratio, the rider's weight is included, which i find to be the most logical. So there is no reason for a restricted version here, unless someone who weights less than 20kg wants to ride it.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices