You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > 3TA/5TA Gears

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

twinshock

Nov 12

twinshock says:

3TA/5TA Gears

I have found a 3TA or 5TA bottom half in the back of my garage but cannot identify the gear cluster fitted in it.

I believe it is a close ratio box but the strange part is the sleeve gear and matching pinnion on the lay shaft, they have 26 and 18 teeth which is different to my other similar Triumph boxes where they only have 22 teeth on the sleeve gear. It also has a large 20 tooth gearbox sprocket which leads me to believe it was originally destined for the track.

The profile of the teeth on these two gears is different to the other gears and I believe they are meant as a very high top gear but where did they come from or who made them and what effect would it have on a good condition 500cc top end.

Any info would be appreciated, cheers

Twinshock

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 November 2012 14:23)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Twinshocks

Any chance you can give me a clue as to where in the country you live, I'm in Surrey and may be interested in some if not all the parts as long as the price is reasonable, you can P.M. through this site.

Reply to this Topic
twinshock

Nov 12

twinshock says:

3TA/5TA gears

Hi smidget

If you give me your email address I can send you some photo's or give me a phone number.

Cheers

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

twinshocks

just put the 500 related stuff pictures on here and a price and I'll let you know, and what county your in as distance will have a bearing on purchase.

Am just as dubious as you about giving personal info out which is why I only need county.  

Reply to this Topic
twinshock

Nov 12

twinshock says:

500cc bits

OK, West Midlands just by Jnct 5 on M6 but could possibly bring them down to you.

Photo's in the next day or so

Cheers

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices