You are in... Forums > General > General > Bike breakdown... help

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ajroberts

Dec 10

ajroberts says:

Bike breakdown... help

I had the afternoon off from work (well finished early at midday) so I thought it would be nice as it was slightly dry to jump on the bike head out to the country side and stop at a pub and grab a late lunch, such a lovely plan.

Got 1 mile away from my house before the bike (Honda CBR600 fx '99 carb model) bogged down a stupid amount, as in, open the throttle up slightly and it just sounds like it is coughing spluttering and starving itself. Get just passed a round-a-bout when it cuts out and won't start, turn the engine over and it catches and get about another 500 m before the same. It couldn't keep its rev's up and stalled itself between gear changes. So call a truck to pick me up but half hour passes and I get the engine to start again so I cancel the truck and 2 miles further on the same thing happens... 4 hours out and 10 mins of riding. 

Any clue as to what might cause it? There is no blown fuse, battery is fine, enough petrol (full tank last saturday, got half left) no vacum in tank. Increasing the idle speed didn't help or using the choke.

:upset:

Cheers,

aj

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 November 2012 20:19)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Carb Icing

Possible, but unlikely (it's not a Kawasaki!!:tongue:). Mine never suffered from icing & it was subjected to plenty of sub-zero temps during it's life with me.

Just a quick thread hijack, how's the homebrew going Stealth?

Reply to this Topic
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

Hi fella..

It's going great.. Ain't been drinking it too fast and as a result its getting better with age!

Got a mate coming round tonight who sampled it last week and loved it! Reckon by this time termorra it'll be all gone! lol :biggrin:

Back to original thread, just thought icing as it stops then, after a while(ice melting), starts again!My old SRAD GSXR600 used to do it......

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Hondas

Generally resist carb icing quite well in comparison to other marques but agree the symptoms are pretty much the same, if I'm wrong then you could well be right.

If you do finish off your latest batch tonight I've been hearing very good things on the "Hopvine" about a new brand of kits called Festival. Seem to recall you're partial to the lighter ales (St Peters if I remember right). Apparently their Golden Stag is even better than the aforesaid! Got a few bottles of the Pilgrims Hope left mesen, v nice brew... hic!:smile

Have a good evening mate:biggrin:   

Reply to this Topic
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

Clearly

Your memory hasn't been affected by alcohol consumption lol.. St Peters it is..

I shall look out for that other one. Cheers..

Have a good evening yer self sir :sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Another

vote for carb icing here.

Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't need to be stupidly cold for it, just sufficiently moist air (the natural airflow / windchill can drop the temperature enough), and the moisture freezes (ices) in the carbs - stopping for 10/15 minutes is usually sufficient to clear it (engine heat rising to carbs).

Just a thought.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

and if it is....

carb icing is there a cure?

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Carb icing cures

Quick way is with additives such as Silkolene FST, more comprehensive would be a carb heater kit.

Still think it's probably the fuel pump; any verdict yet AJ?:smile

Reply to this Topic
KrismusSikpunz

Mar 12

Have you checked

For fuel tank breather blockage? Air filter?

Simple things first.

Reply to this Topic
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

Fuel starvation

AJ,

How are you getting on there is some good advise in the posted reply's any progress?

ie Check

1. Fuel/tap/pipes/filter

2. Vacuum pipe/blockage

3. Check earth to the fuel pump/leads/switch/flow

4. Fuse/leads to the pump

5. Check regulator correct

Have fun; need any more help just post a reply some is bound to be able to help.    

Reply to this Topic
ajroberts

Dec 10

ajroberts says:

Fuel pump

Those who went for the fuel pump were right. It was completely knackered.

Thank you for all the responses.

Now the problem is its too flipping cold to go out.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle