You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Yzf 750 can't get gears

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

alanmacging

May 12

alanmacging says:

Yzf 750 can't get gears

Hi I have a 1995 yzf750  I hadn't ridden it for about a month and when I took it out today I can only get 1st and 2nd. The clutch isnt slipping and I bled it incase there was any air in the system but its still the same. Any ideas?  Could it be the selector rod or Perhaps the bush that it sits inside. Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 November 2012 15:25)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Yamaha YZF 750R 1995

Hi Alan

Your bike is getting very old now(17 years)so lots of strange little thing like this will start to happen more often(old bike syndrome)there could be water in the system,so bleed the hole thing completely through with fresh dot 3 brake fluid.Check for excessive play the the gear linkage(try adjusting if loose). If this makes no difference it could be the seals in the clutch master cylinder are leaking past the piston so not pushing the slave cylinder and push rod far enough.Also check the slave cylinder isn't leaking past its seal and it is moving fully when the lever if fully pulled.Is the gear lever returning to centre after each change? if not the gear shift shaft return spring could have broken,also the hydraulic line if still the original could be expanding instead of push fluid to the slave cylinder(but most cases will just get very spongy and can be adjusted out on the lever but worth checking on a bike of this age).Worst case,could be a worn selector fork,selector drum,or shift shaft dogs.Hope this helps a bit Good Luck

KCMC:tongue: 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Old bike syndrome........

ha ha i like it!!!!! 

I suffer from old bastard syndrome......sometimes i can be quite cheerfull, but othertimes i really can't be arsed....so yfr750 i fully empathise...:blink::mad::lol:o

Reply to this Topic
alanmacging

May 12

alanmacging says:

Yzf can't gt gear

I've tried bleeding it right through, no joy. Might be the master cylinder I will take that off tomorrow and try pushing the rod manually but I think it might be the selector rod or spring. I won't spend a lot on it I might just drop a second hand engine in if it looks terminal, might be tme for a thou

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

gears

is the problem the clutch, the gearchange mechanism, or the gearbox itself? Can you select all gears without the engine running? May be easier with the bike on a stand with the rear wheel in the air, so you can rotate the wheel forwards and backwards, while operating the gear lever....

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Yamaha YZF 750R 1995

Hi again

Must say i find (I wont spend a lot on it i might just drop a second hand engine in it)a bit extreme at this point,could be something simple?as fogie says, if its selecting all the gears with the engine not running(on a paddock stand or just rocking the bike back and forth)then its going to be a easier and cheaper repair than purchasing a engine and fitting it?.Also have you changed the oil and filter of late?if not,do so (10w-40 semi syn bike oil only)and if you have what oil did you use?(was it the right oil?).Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:  

Reply to this Topic
alanmacging

May 12

alanmacging says:

Yzf can't get gears

I know swapping the engine sounds a bit extreme but it is getting on a bit and burns a bit of oil. It has had an oil and filter a couple of hundred miles ago, it won't get any gear above second even with the engine off and just rocking it to help it slip in so leases me to think its not the clutch. I'm leaning towards a damaged selector rod I.e worn bush or broken spring. If it turns out I have to split the casing that's where it might be cheaper to drop another engine in or I cut my losses and split the bike for parts, I fancy a speed triple. Going to have a look when the hangover goes away:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Fair enough

ride safe:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
alanmacging

May 12

alanmacging says:

Yzf can't get gears

Here s a bit of advice check the simple things first. Seized linkage at the peg means it wouldn't return to centre, a little bit of lube and were sorted:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

k.i.s.s.

Yup, check simple things first  :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN