Skip to content

General newby help please (bad weather) General

You are in... Forums > General > General > newby help please (bad weather)

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jamie95

Nov 12

jamie95 says:

newby help please (bad weather)

right ok here goes a few question,

in weather like this what line should i take on the road?

what is the best way to wipe visor when its raining

also a mechanical one

just had a engine change ect before this was done my headlight was really bright, from riding home tonight after the new engine the light barley worked any advise?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 November 2012 00:30)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

What

bike yea got?check it is charging and not just running off the battery.Riding in the rain,give yourself more room than in the dry,do all your braking up right and have it finished before the entry to the bend,use more rear brake,if you do go in a bit faster than you want scrub the speed off with the rear brake not the front.If you do make a mistake look where you want to go don't get fixated on where you might go other wise you will go there.keep a eye on the road for oil(rainbow colours) and your nose for the smell of diesel.Look as far ahead as you can so you can make decisions early on manoeuvring braking or changing your mind.Lot more but am on my way out for lunch,no doubt the guys will fill you in on more things to do?like looking through corners not at them and glancing at car drivers to see what they are doing(on the phone,texting,tuning the radio,eating etc)catch yea later Jamie:smile 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

reply ,

Try again,There`s a few products you can put on your visor to repel the rain water,also some gloves have a wiper blade on the left thumb.

Sounds like your fresh engine is not charging the battery or a bad earth.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

i just use my glove to wipe my visor.

i would check you sator and earth to make sure the bike is charging.  you can check the battery with the motor run.

plus leave more room from the center line so you wont get as much spray from hgv,s ect.  if you have to do a sudden stop then use more rear brake to front brake.

Reply to this Topic
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

Bad weather

Jamie,

What line to take;

Well it's a compromise depending on all the usual factors I'd just do as the other posters have mentioned and in addition watch out for the crap on the road ie leaves, mud white lines speed bumps (that magicaly disappear in shit weather until your on top of one) and numpty's. So don't hog the curb or ride in the centre of the road.

Keep it smooth. Speed entry to bends is always a fun one to get right so it's best slow in quicker out. Use the rear brake before your entry and if necessary just trial in part way toward the apex.Slowly & progressively increase the exit speed to give you a clean pull away fom the apex. Don't tip the bike into bend judt allow it to settle. Stay smooth and fluid and the bike will happily chugg around. Feel the grip.

Visor. I leave the visor open just a touch for most low speed ocassions and use the vents the rest f the time. You can use and furniture polish (Pledge) on any scratches and this makes the water run off quickly. Keep a moist (non alc) wipe in your kit so that you can clean. All major gloves have a soft patch of leather on the left hand glove keep it clean and it will work.        

Head light check the earth connections in and near the headlight, also might find signs of arcing on a wet junction. Check to fuse and fuse box any signs of water? Check to subcircuits.

Hope this helps.  

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

double glazing

some anti mist spray works most of the time. Keep visor clean as poss before a ride. If riding over about 70mph, then moving head side to side can blow off water. New guy started at work who's a biker... and he has double glazed visor... which i might try too. Thats a good idea!

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

I have a pinlock visor

but it stops it from steaming up. It doesn't help with removing water. I have started using the Nikwax anti rain spray and found it the very best thing I've ever used for wet riding. Very rarely need to wipe the visor at all, but you need to use it before each journey. I have to re-do it before I come home from work as I clean my helmet and visor as soon as I arrive in the morning.

As for riding tips, everyone else has given good advice. The thing I've noticed most with learner riders is a tendancy to follow the car in front too closely on wet roads. You really do need a longer stopping distance then you think.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

More important than

your position on the road, is to keep everything smooth - your clutch, gears, steering, braking, the lot. The only way to do this is to keep looking as far ahead as you can, and plan ahead. Beware of gusts of wind blowing you off-course (gaps in hedges / walls etc are a favourite for this). Bridges can be as bad (they're elevated and thus exposed on all sides. Beware of standing water after heavy rain, and esp cars hitting it at high speed and drenching you. Difficult conditions can be tiring due to higher concentration levels - take more breaks if you need to.

As for your light, why was the engine changed? Maybe the work has disturbed something? A charging circuit check is probably a good idea.

What bike is it?

Reply to this Topic
jamie95

Nov 12

jamie95 says:

thanks for all the advise and tips guys,

the bike is a honda ns125f, the engine was changed as the old one was just knackerd,

everything worked fine before the engine change, but now it looks like the battery jjust isnt getting any charge as the indercators have even stopped flash its that weak, also wont start easily, ive given it a long run during the day today and still the battery is looking dead:L alternator maby?

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Possibly

an alternator fault - but bear in mind major work tends to disturb other things too; check the wiring from your alternator through your reg/rec and to the battery, in case its been pinched / trapped or broken (ie, check the basics before committing to spending more money).

If the work was carried out by a garage, get the garage to sort it out for you.

Reply to this Topic
AlbertHerring

Nov 09

reg/rec

Regulator/rectifiers often cause charging problems with Hondas (no idea if the NS is one of the culprits, though), but if it was working OK before the rebuild I'd be more inclined to suspect some damage to (or misconnection of) wiring or, as you suggest, your new alternator.

(warning, I'm a mechanical numpty in any practical terms. But I have been through the same sort of issues.)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices