Skip to content

General probably my fault. General

You are in... Forums > General > General > probably my fault.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

probably my fault.

When I was more a novice and I rode a 125, I had the bright idea that more force on my sump plug would make it less likely there would be an oil leak.  So I think (although not sure) it might have been me who over-tightened my sump plug, threading the sump on my YBR125, so that now is leaks all the time. 

Does anyone know a way that doesnt cost nearly as much as the bike to repair the damage?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 November 2012 19:12)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Possibilities

First off try fitting a new crush washer and see if that stops the dripping. If it doesn't then you could fit a coil thread insert or oversize sump plug.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

sounds like....

you've just stripped the thread...the sensible (professional) option would be to have it 'helicoiled' (re threaded). But seeing as it's a basic 125,I'd be tempted to try a new metal washer with a fibre washer underneath and a bit of 'instant gasket on the bolt....and see if you can find a 'biting point' before fully torqued up. (finger tight + half a turn).If it still leaks a bit just put thicker oil in there. Small caliber bikes are the old 'strokers' of the 70's and 80's ....and just 'monitor' it.:smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Provided

you have not stripped the threads in the sump.

Get a new sump plug drill a small hole through the head so that you can once the plug is tight lock the plug in as per all race bikes. 

A new crush washer.

Place a few turns of PTFE tape (used by plumbers and obtainable from screwfix) round the threads and carefully tighten the plug.

Helicoil as has been mentioned if the above fails.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

The ptfe tape...

..it's white and very stretchy....and pretty cheap.just wrap it round the original bolt. better than instant gasket...just so you understand we are telling you bodges that could save you money.The PTFE tape should 'shrink wrap' to the bolt(doesn't have to be neat).Where as the instant gasket could leach into the sump and block oil ways.:smile

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

sump plug

easy fix..chemical metal the hole, get a tap and re thread..:smile

Reply to this Topic
KrismusSikpunz

Mar 12

Geoffart

You don't say whether or not you fitted a new crush washer to the sump plug? Which you must do every time.

If not, fit one and tighten the plug to the correct torque setting stated in your hand book.

If the plug does not tighten eg it keeps turning without reaching the torque setting, then you have stripped the thread.

Personally, I would take (what is probably) the  M12 x 1.5 thread out to M14 x 1.5 then fit appropriate new plug with crush washer & torque tighten!

If you do not have the necessary skills to do that, it shouldn't be hard to find somebody who has.

Should really be done with sump removed to avoid ingress of swarf.

Good luck with it.  

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

thanks guys

Hi guys.  thanks for reply and suggestions very much.  Much appreciated.

No, Ive not had time to try anything yet, but you've pointed me in some good new directions. Origionally I just used some liquid gasket, which worked fine, until the mechanic changed the oil as part of service. Now its naturally leaking again.

I wanted a repair a bit more permanent than instant gasket every time I change the oil, although it has been a good solution to leaking.

Thanks.

geoff.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices