Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Valko

May 12

Valko says:

high five

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 November 2012 23:49)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

seen it ....

in a Land far,far away....but keep looking. We prefer informative stuff like this though.:smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

High Five

I still love the Kawasaki one, even though it's old! :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

Me, too.

Still one of my favourites :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
KrismusSikpunz

Mar 12

@Oldish

"in a Land far,far away....but keep looking. We prefer informative stuff like this though.:smile"

If your valve clearances should be 0.10 - 0.2mm (inlet) and they are 0.12mm as shown in that vid, would you chance leaving them for another 15,000 miles?

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

of course Krismus....

seeing as how that falls into the optimum tolerance band.Better to be a little worn and tinkly,than being too tight and preventing the valves closing fully when the engine is hot....That isn't a very good example video,because the guy should be working under better lighting conditions and he seems unsure about which valves he should be checking,but it helps to show people that bike maintenance is not 'rocket science'....I'd have preferred to see him strip it from tank and fairing removal onwards.:smile

Reply to this Topic
KrismusSikpunz

Mar 12

Oldish, I was referring to the guy in the vid

His valve clearances are already very near bottom limits at 0.12mm, as we are all aware, on modern overhead cam engines they close up with wear, as against open up as with old pushrod motors.

If I had the bike stripped to that level and the valve clearances had closed up that much, then I would have re-shimmed to take them back nearer to top limit.

That would give me full confidence for the next 15k miles that my valves and seats would not be getting burnt.

(Dealer would not bother I'm sure)

Can't understand why he was setting lines to arrows for checking? Just check the cam clearances with the lobes pointing upwards turning as required.

Draw a plan and note the clearances for each valve, if they need re-shimming, strip out and measure shims, do the sum & fit the new shims. Check clearances again after re-assembly.

Like you said oldish, it's not rocket science, just needs a bit of care & attention to detail.

Lines & arrows will need setting up before stripping out cams on bucket & shim motors. Always refer to workshop manual for this part of the job.

Cam on shim engines can usually be done without removing cams but using a tool for the job.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices