Skip to content

Ask an Expert Street Triple R or CBR600rr Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Street Triple R or CBR600rr

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

PaulFargo

Oct 12

PaulFargo says:

Street Triple R or CBR600rr

Had previously decided on the Triumph as I thought a sports bike would be too expensive to insure as it will be my first big bike after passing my test. I will mainly be using the bike for commuting and for weekend rides. If it was your choice what would you choose.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (26 November 2012 18:43)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

What year would you

be getting or would you get new. Either way i really like both personally, i would however just get the regular street triple as opposed to the r as only difference really is it has top spec suspension and brakes which i dont think you will feel any benifit from as a new rider and it may make it stiffer and therefore more uncomfortable for commuting. I prefer the triumph personally think it has more character and i like nakeds. Tend to drop better too (important as a new rider).

However the cbr will have a fairing giving you wind protection if you have a long commute will handle just as well and arnt too uncomfortable.

Reply to this Topic
PaulFargo

Oct 12

PaulFargo says:

hopefully 2010

It will be a used one. I can't afford a new bike and as you say and I know at some stage I will drop the bike.

Reply to this Topic
Hondavfr800

Feb 04

Hondavfr800 says:

Both excellent in different ways

It would be best to try them both out and having owned two 600rr’s I could highly recommend either!. The only thing I changed on the 600rr were the clip ons as the ride position could a little heavy on the hands / wrists as I suffer from poor circulation. Great bike fullstop! Fairings can be expensive to repair / replace but do offer better weather protection. Read the reviews on mcn as they’ll give you owners’ views. I had a test ride on a Triple R, it was a fab bike. The engine is amazingly grunty and fun with great handling and I so nearly bought one… In the end the feeling of the all over wind buffeting on a naked and the higher servicing costs on the Triumph put me off one and I got a CBR600F which is great all round bike but surprisingly as much to insure as a 600rr?

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Depends on

your budget.

Hornets, Bandits and Fazers along with Kawasaki's ER6n/f are probably better starter bikes than the 600RR, (both cost wise and usability). For commuting, the ER6f has a full fairing and thus quite practical. The SV650 is another popular bike.

Starting out, you need a bike you can get on with, rather than one with all-out performance; you may (or may not) find the sporty stuff to be a highly-strung handful at your stage.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

What sort of commuting and weekend use?

Be honest with yourself and think about your usage. If your commute is 10 miles of 30mph you would be much better off with an upright bike. The riding position will be taller so you will see easier over cars, it will be more comfortable on your wrists etc. Also it will steer and balance better at lower speeds and have more grunt to flick past cars at legal speeds in town..Similarly if your commute is 40 miles in all weather you would be better with a bike with a bigger fairing such as the Fazer, ER6F etc.
However very few of us buy the "perfect" bike for our job and a sports bike can be fun in town too if you are in the mood...
If you do fancy a sports bike don't discount the older sports bikes such as Yamaha Thundercats, Honda CBR600F, Suzuki GSX600F and GSX750F etc. They are slightly bigger and have better shaped fairings for real life and should be much cheaper to buy and insure...
The Suzuki GSX650F and Kawasaki ER6F both give you some aspects of the sports bike look with a relatively comfy riding position and a deeper fairing. If you are short in the leg the ER6F is particularly slim and easy to manhandle through small spaces. Both might be cheaper on insurance (certainly are for me). If you want to save on insurance but still have a sports type position the SV650S is also a very popular choice and if you like V twins sounds lovely.
But as with all these things your first check should be insurance quotes.. I think its likely that the insurance on a RR or a Triumph could be too high...

Reply to this Topic
PaulFargo

Oct 12

PaulFargo says:

Thanks guys

For all your help and suggestions. I guess will just have to get out and ride a few of the mentioned bikes. My quotes for the triumph and CBR600rr are coming in around £400-£500.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices