Skip to content

General Insurance advice not on bike tho ?? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Insurance advice not on bike tho ??

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

Insurance advice not on bike tho ??

As some of you may know last week a crate of logs fell off a delivery wagon onto my car.

Gone thru my insurance with all the details of the delivery company's details (Insurance company and policy number)

I haven't been asked for photographic evidence at all just described what happened and damage done to my car.  They said the car would be written off without inspecting damage and told me to remove tax disc and send log book off stating the salvage company's details. (got collected this morning:upset:)

What I'd like to know is what happens if they offer a ridiculous amount for the car ie not the value of what it would cost to replace like for like ?

It just seems a bit cut and dry at the minute and also my 2m high crate of kiln dried logs were no longer dry, I had to wait a couple of days for someone to give me a hand storing them as they were strewn all over the drive getting wet. I managed to keep alot of the dry but didn't have enough polythene to cover them all.

:upset::upset::upset:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (27 November 2012 11:38)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Usual Things

First offer will probably be silly, so refuse it.

If I remember, the car was up for sale...?  If so, send them a copy of your advert, showing them the sum you would accept.

You might be lucky - as it was obviously the fault of the delivery people, it might all be resolved nice and quickly - it does happen :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

Will do

I'm scouting about for the same car with roughly same mileage, but my other point albeit a secondary one ,t I paid 240.00 for my logs and they were all sealed as they were bought dried. Within a few hours they were soaked even tho I got them under cover as soon as poss but they were just dumped in my driveway.

Would I be entitled to any recourse on now not having delivered what I paid for.

It's going thru very quickly but maybe a little too quickly.

Thanks for the replies, I needed to clarify the argument about not accepting silly offers and what grounds do I have to expect like for like money?

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

bb41

as the insurance company have not paid you for the car or made you an offer for the car I do not see how they can dictate that you release 'your' car to a salvage company.

It is usual practice to agree the final settlement before any disposal of a vehicle.

I would suggest that you contact your insurance company and ask what is going on. In the mean time you could contact ACIC and ask what they make of this situation.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

thanks Smidget

I thought they would have to make an offer first.  I can't see the cost of the damage amounting more to the value of the vehicle especially as they had no photographic eveidence.  This only happened Friday afternoon and the car has been salvaged by Copart:blink:

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

BB

Why not ring up your log company, and have a chat with them?

Explain that your insurance is dealing with your car, but you are calling about the state of the logs on delivery - ie, wet.  Ask them nicely about any compensation for the inconvenience.  Maybe they will offer you a reduction in your next delivery. 

If they are off-hand, then you will need to go back to your insurance and claim for damages beyond the cost of the car.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

NC

It's the log company who have asked for the photographs, I suppose they will put in a claim as well for damaged reputation!

I'm thinking I might not come out of this too well

Also would the ACIC lawyer on here take up a non biking case as I feel I am about to be shafted by a big insurance company ??

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

BB41

SHhhhhhh but they also do car claims 'carlawyer'.

But don't tell everyone.

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Ah

Is the delivery driver separate to the log company?

If so, still have a chat with the log people, and they'll just charge it back to the delivery man.

Usual thing though - make a note of all calls (times/dates) and names of people you speak to.  Helps to build a case if anything goes wrong.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

Will do

I'll pop over to legal and ask and keep your posted, thanks for everything:smile

Reply to this Topic
Tabasco

May 09

Tabasco says:

Thats easy

it'll be on a national insurance loss site (that I'm obviously not going to name). I buy used cars and bikes from there, repair the damage and make a fortune selling them on. It's so easy to do. I'll give you a good price if you want it back hehehe :lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices