Skip to content

Discuss This Nicky Hayden confident Ducati can cure understeer issue MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Nicky Hayden confident Ducati can cure understeer issue

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Nicky Hayden confident Ducati can cure understeer issue

Nicky Hayden remains confident Ducati can solve a persistent understeer issue that has dogged the Desmosedici MotoGP project in recent years. The understeer issue was a constant complaint of Valentino Rossi during his disastrous two-year stint with Ducati, which ended in him walking out to sign a new deal with Yamaha for 2013 and 2014. Hayden believes Ducati made some progress in...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (27 November 2012 12:34)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Don't point the finger at me ch987

merely agreeing with dice350

Reply to this Topic
diceman23

Nov 09

diceman23 says:

Oh dear

Nicky fastest Duc on first day of testing but still slower than the times posted by Sykes and Laverty on different WSBK bikes. He may have been testing parts but still...........

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Just a thought!

With the fastest Superbikes being close the the pace of the MotoGP bikes could we be nearing the end of the prototype era and moving towards a one series factory supported Mega-Superbike/CRT based show. Just a thought!

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Hugs...

"Hope one a day a journo sits down and tots up just how much stoner saying the cf frameless bike thing was bang on, has actually cost Ducati?? Probably 20 times Rossi wages in a similar period.. No wonder he retired early, it;s just a matter of time before a full autopsy on Ducati's last few seasons and the frameless design sign off was the source."

Remind me... which version of the Ducati hasn't scored a single win, set a fastest lap or even made it onto the front row?... the same version that's most recently been running slower than the 2010 800cc CF bike?

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Interesting Editorial in Superbikeplanet

The following excerpt is from their article on Hayden

Meanwhile, Ducati's A rider, Rossi, was ensnared in a Venus Flytrap of confusion and apathy as he couldn't figure out the GP12 after more than a year with Ducati. Rossi was clearly steering development on the Ducati with the entire team waiting on his every word. Unfortunately, he was lost, his crew had no answers and Ducati had no new parts. So where did The Doctor turn for help? Hayden's setup, which he used at Estoril.

http://superbikeplanet.com/2012/Nov/12112769feat.htm

So despite Buelli's feeble argument that Rossi was always giving his damnedest there are those of us (Burgess included) that know he wasn't. Christ wasn't a loss of concentration his excuse for falling off in the Laguna Seca race? Then of course there's the bit about the greatest set-up genius of our time adopting (not 'moving towards' as Nicky claimed of Casey, but adopting) also ran Hayden's set-up.

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

What was that proverb I quoted Nostro ?

By the way 10 out of 10 for knowing it - most wouldn't

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

I was using the excerpt BB

to counter the damn fool claims of old Buelli. No need for me to copy the whole damn thing out verbatim, the link was provided.

People on here seem to think I bash Rossi. I merely use his words and those of industry hacks to counter the ludicrious claims of the wet behind the ears little 46'er dears. All entirely topical and entirely truthful.

What's your issue Blood? Don't you like what I write?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

ok old wise one?

Tell me why you do not think Rossi was not trying?
Do you really think he/they wanted to have a disastrous 2 years?
Do you really think he enjoyed crashing more than he has ever done in his career?
Do you really think it is a bit of coincidence that every rider that has ridden the the bike have all had the same set up/front end issues that they can't resolve?

There goals were to make the bike into a winner and secure Rossi's services at Ducati for the future.
They tried everything they could with the equipment they were given and throughout the 2 years the bike hardly improved at all.

If you already do not know Burgess reckons they had more to offer at Ducati and they could have made it successful but the whole bike would have to change a lot before they started.
He would not say that if he did not think Valentino was not up to the job.Unfortunately time was not on their side.

One of the main reasons Yamaha have taken Rossi back is because of his development skills but you can't develop a machine without the proper back up and Ducati could not provide that.

Yes Stoner did an amazing job on a flawed machine in 07 but since then Ducati have gone backwards while the Japs have progressed massively.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

What's your issue Blood? Don't you like what I write?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa.........

..................hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha

thats the best thing you've ever written nostro

........aaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaa and so on

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

In answer to your questions BB

On a couple of occasions Burgess mentioned Rossi was struggling mentally with his mid pack positions and found it very disheartening. 'Trying' of course is all relative. How often in the past has Rossi been required to ride to his maximum 100% ability? I would suggest very rarely indeed in his glory years. Has he done so this year? I don't think so. Did he try to 2011? His crash rate would suggest so. Our three Aliens have hung it all out this year riding the razors edge all the way. At EUR18 million you'd think Corse deserved a bit more effort from Rossi rather than crashing through attention loss at Laguna.

Rossi in his own words relished the thought of the Ducati challenge. A raw proper GP prototype motorcycle. Something that stirred memories of his 500cc years. He felt he could adapt and tame it. Quite simply he couldn't.

Due to tyres in the main 2010 & 2011 were Ducati's worst years. Stoner is on record as saying when he and Gabbarini found the narrow set-up window the Ducati was a very good motorcycle. Rossi and Burgess never found this window for themselves.

I've stated it a dozens of times before. Yes the Ducati is probably behind the M1 and RCV but Rossi made it look a damn sight worse than what it really is. All machines have their relative strengths and weakness. It's up to the rider to mitigate those issues. The HRC boys managed it with their severe chatter. Why couldn't Rossi with his understeer? Well, I know the answer to that rhetorical question - talent limitation.

In some ways we still don't know the relative merits of the current Duke. Only a true Alien can push to the 'eenth degree and get the best from a bike. But what I do know is Stoner won on it when difficult, and Dani won on the RCV when it handled like a pig early 2010. Rossi's won nothing on a difficult motorcycle.

Our current situation may, as I believe, simply be that three riders are that much better than all the rest. A situation brought into sharp focus by the failure of Rossi, which due to his previous stature manifests public & most journo opinion in the (unfair) blaming of Ducati.  I truly believe the goalposts have been moved beyond the skill level of Valentino and just about all the rest. Although MM will almost certainly make the leap.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices