Skip to content

Discuss This Nicky Hayden confident Ducati can cure understeer issue MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Nicky Hayden confident Ducati can cure understeer issue

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Nicky Hayden confident Ducati can cure understeer issue

Nicky Hayden remains confident Ducati can solve a persistent understeer issue that has dogged the Desmosedici MotoGP project in recent years. The understeer issue was a constant complaint of Valentino Rossi during his disastrous two-year stint with Ducati, which ended in him walking out to sign a new deal with Yamaha for 2013 and 2014. Hayden believes Ducati made some progress in...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (27 November 2012 12:34)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Laverty's a nice guy etc etc

but it does seem like a silly move. I think birdy's finally lost it.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Conditions Wosi?

I agree - which is why I've always said comparisons are pretty pointless, but you have favoured lap time comparisons from previous races / seasons to make a point on many occassions, now you're saying they're not relevant?

You like to blame Honda. Can you name one manufacturer in any discipline that has not tried to gain an advantage from rules, or manipulate rules to do the same? They're all in it to win it, at whatever cost. No-one was moaning about Honda when Rossi was doing his winning with them and their electronic aids. Now they're perceived as the root of the problem

No-one moaned about the Yamaha dominance from 2004.

No-one cared that Stoner wasn't winning on the Ducati in his last two years as often as he was in the first two. They were happy to blame him for taking the bike in the wrong direction - not a murmur about Preziosi being to blame. How things changed when Rossi was there.

The problem with the racing is technology which has slowly but surely screwed up motorsport across many disciplines. To get back to pure racing they should get rid of electronic aids - all of them. The power of the bikes would have to come down to manageable levels which would reduce costs. More emphasis would go onto rider ability. Laptop gurus would no longer control laptimes.

But then you'll have the muppets complaining that the technology is needed to improve the road bikes - because every sports bike rider / bar stool racer out there thinks they need it to go faster on the road, when the truth is they can't handle a fraction of their bike's potential on the track, let alone a public road.

Both Motogp and WSB need to get back to basics, Motogp being protootypes, WSB production based bikes without all the factory parts and electronics. Then you'd be back to a lap time differential that is more resemblant to the two genres of bike.

Motogp in its current format has become a sport for four riders lucky enough to land the plum rides. The rest are wasting their time and millions of pounds.

Getting back to Hayden's test times, I don't really know what to make of them but in cooler, therefore worse, conditions, he has improved his times from his last times at Jerez. Iannone is 2 seconds quicker than Rossi was and a lot closer to Hayden than Rossi was. Make of it what you will but it's better they are going quicker rather than slower.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Soup's..

I couldn't agree with you more, Laverty comes across well and is undoubtedly likeable - that for me is not the issue. I just feel that the Moto GP grid should for pure thoroughbred's and the creme de la creme of the sport. The fact we have a two tier championship is bad enough, but let's not denigrate it more than we have to, by introducing sub standard riders..

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Bulto

Many posters including yourself  are of the opinion that MotoGP should be all about factory prototypes and I would not disagree with that.  May I take you up on paragraph 4 of your loquacious text below which seems to be in opposition to that view.

If the problem is technology and we need to get rid of riders aids and reduce power to a manageable level surely that goes against everything that a prototype racer is all about. Prototypes are original designs from which future designs are developed.  If you stunt this development by implementing what you suggest then we might as well scrap MotoGP and just have a Superbike series.

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

bulto

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it.I really hope they have already improved the Ducati but in all honesty I doubt it very much.
How many time have we seen Hayden set a pretty good one off lap only to go backwards during the race?
I think there needs to be some drastic changes before we will see the Ducati competing with the Hondas and Yamahas.

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

cheers Rev

It's nice to know I can rely on your good self and saturn for more reasoned views on these matters.
Although I really want Ducati to find solutions I suspect my reasons are completely different to bultoboy.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Saturn

Re: prototypes

Therein lies the problem. People want to see no restrictions, the most extreme race bikes using and developing the best technology with the best riders trying to get the best out of them. As in any 'arena' those with the most money and best resources rise to the top which results in one-sided competition. Then they moan about that and that the racing is boring.

So what's the answer? Even the playing field? That's what Moto2 is.

Very little of the 'go faster' technology on a Motogp bike is of much use on a road bike. Ironically, the most useful would be the most hated....  fuel conservation

Buel - you picked the argument I didn't, all I said was he's gone faster on the Duke in what appear to be less ideal conditions than when they were their earlier this year. I alsosaid there were no tangible conclusions to be drawn from it, but going faster is better than going slower - depending on what their agenda was of course.

What were you saying about Laverty's fastest lap time again - I must have missed your reply.

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Bulto

In this area I don't think we're too far apart!  In previous posts I have advocated a Moto1 class - the formula seems to have worked very well with Moto2 which I thought would be a disaster when it was envisaged - thankfully it wasn't and produces far better racing that MotoGP.   The crux of the matter is prototype racing will only produce success for the wealthiest and most technically advanced factories so the choice is abandon it and adopt a Moto1 class or continue with a spectacle of 4 to 6 prototypes with maybe 4 aliens winning all the races ?

Purists will go for the latter while racing entusiasts just want close racing.

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

argument?

I am not arguing with you.I just dispute your view that suddenly the Ducati has improved.
As I said Hayden did a pretty quick one off lap on one of his favourite circuits which he has done regularly throughout the season.If he starts posting times that Lorenzo and Pedrosa set then maybe we should get excited but even then he still has to manage a whole race trying to keep pace with them.

Regarding Laverty's time I was surprised that there was so little between the superbike and the GP bike.
I think either the Ducati is shit or Laverty is a hero!
And yes I know it is difficult to compare them but in the past this is a rare event.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

For christ sakes Rev

Don't give Buelli perspective, you'll blow his tiny brain apart. Old Buelli deals solely in bullshit, fantasy, invention and contradiction. All of which he's covered on this thread alone.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices