Skip to content

Ask an Expert Suzuki Bandit 650 Immobiliser/Alarm Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Suzuki Bandit 650 Immobiliser/Alarm

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DanAtBristol

Nov 12

DanAtBristol says:

Suzuki Bandit 650 Immobiliser/Alarm

Hey guys, a quick bit of background info; I've been on and off of 125's since I was 17 (turning 25 next week), but after a crash in Jan '11 I've not been able to replace my poor little Suzuki, until now - I passed my full test a few months back and am collecting my Suzuki Bandit 2005 in a week... Besides my full licence, I've not touched a big bike, however I've done a good 4-5k on a 125, so I know the basics but that's about it.

Anyhow, on with my question! Basically I'm concerned about security, my old 125 was worth £800 odd, my new Bandit I've got for £2500 and with 3 months warranty, service, mot and only 14k on the clock, I've (hopefully) got a damn good deal and don't want it going walkies. I live in a second floor flat, in a fairly nice area, with a small private car park and I've been given permission to install an anchor point, besides that what's worth getting?

I've heard immobilisers make bikes a nightmare to steal without a van, so I'm very interested in getting one, but a lot of people seem to say that alarms generally flatten your battery - I've found a Datatool Duo Cat 2 Immobiliser/Alarm for just under £100, is it worth it? Money is somewhat limited, but if my insurance will drop a noticeable amount then I'll definitely consider investing in something of quality.

Oh, final point; Assuming I can get my 1 year of NCB from my 125 without problems, my insurance looks like it'll be £500 fully comp, if I can't, it'll be £730.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (27 November 2012 20:33)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

alarm

Welcome Dan,your Suzuki should have an immobiliser fitted:unsure:,I`ve had umpteen alarms and all a pain in the neck,ins com don`t bother much now.An alarm will not flatten your battery if the bike is used regular (twice a week or more).

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?topic-id=433208&message-id=4677815&__ia=message4677815#message4677815

Reply to this Topic
DanAtBristol

Nov 12

DanAtBristol says:

Chain

Hey + thanks, I've been having a thorough read through the forums since posting and it seems like most people share that view.

Someone mentioned the Almax Immobiliser Series IV, which costs £150 but sounds like a monster of a lock - Considering I'm no longer planning to shell out £100+ for an immobiliser (I'm unsure whether it comes with one, I was under the impression that it didn't, I thought that was on the premium model?), I'm willing to put it in the the lock funds instead. Is it worth £80, for the anchor point which you can get with that lock? As most seem to be half (or less) of that price.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

S.A.I.S

It`s called a Security Advanced Immobiliser System.I`ve had it on a few Suzies.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

carbs or fuel injection

SAIS works through the FI, which I thought came to Bandits about 2007?

Almax chains are a great deterrent, very heavy and obvious, will doubtless stop someone nicking your wheel, but in a secluded spot they may just take the rest of the bike...  Not sure about Hardie - like most anchors it needs solid concrete to attach to and I reckon I could release it even then, but probably another useful deterrent.  Can't comment on the Defiant.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Mostly

security will deter the casual / opportunist thief.

Very little will put off a professional thief however, because they'll know the weaknesses of whatever security you use.

Chains can be useful, but are only as strong as their weakest link, and immobilisers can be an expensive pain if they develop a problem.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

i would get a huge chain and lock the frame to the ground and also lock the front wheel to.  most other stuff wont stop it being push away.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Security

Alarms drain batteries with far more effectiveness than they prevent theft.  Best avoided. 

A good ground anchor and chain are your best bet - the other is a cover.  If your bike is covered then it is less likely to attract the attention of a thief. 

Reply to this Topic
DanAtBristol

Nov 12

DanAtBristol says:

Ground Anchor

After having looked in to this rather deeply, I've found the best chain to get is an Almax Immobiliser Series 3 (as the 4 is apparently VERY heavy and I need to take it to work with me) and I'm also thinking about getting the Hardie Ground Anchor, however finding a good spot to connect it to the ground is proving a pain, as it's going in a private car park which is tarmacked... Sooo I'm going to see if they'll let me dig down and concrete a block there to put it in to, haha.

Thanks for the help by the way guys!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices